Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

2.0.5 cgi path error

Quote Reply
2.0.5 cgi path error
I didn't see this mentioned in browsing through posts from the past month+, but I apologize if it's already been brought up.

I just installed 2.0.5 as a new install and the setup went super smooth except for one thing. The installation directory was set as http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/links. After the setup was completed, I was told I could login to the admin panel through the usual .../cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi. However, the program was actually installed in .../cgi-bin/links/cgi/... Works fine when going to the correct URL, but things like the link from admin.cgi to page.cgi points to the wrong location, so who knows what else is thrown off internally.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I uploaded install.dat and install.cgi to the /links/ folder I was going to be installing the program in. Does that confuse it into thinking it should install in a subdirectory from there?

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] 2.0.5 cgi path error In reply to
Fortunately, I discovered all the important script variables are easily configurable online, making it possible to proceed with setup and testing. Makes for a silly looking URL on the add/modify.cgi type scripts, but still functional.

Is this normal, or did I not catch some default path that passed by me in the setup stages (I installed through telnet)?

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi,

It would have defaulted to your directory/cgi as the place to put cgi files, so most likely you entered the URL properly, but accepted the default directory.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] 2.0.5 cgi path error In reply to
I see. Why would something already in the cgi-bin and a 'links' directory be given a default 'cgi' subdirectory? The setup script seems pretty smart; wouldn't seem too tough to have it look to see if it is being installed at least one level below the cgi-bin. In which case, any added subdirectories are redundant. Much easier to get the URL right before than after, considering how many more files there are in 2.x.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

Currently it does not check to see where you are installing it in, but your right, cgi-bin is probably something to look for. It just says lets put html in install directory/pages and cgi in install directory /cgi.

I'll look to see what we can do to make it guess a bit better.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.