Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

{ Urgent }Server overloading problem by page.cgi and user.cgi

Quote Reply
{ Urgent }Server overloading problem by page.cgi and user.cgi
Hi

For weeks now we have been having an increasing problem with page.cgi and user.cgi over loading the server.

As of this morning page.cgi is using 80% of the server's resources.

We tried a fresh copy of the script and had the same problem.

According to the server hosting company the script itself is causing the problem not the requests its receiving..

I have just tried installing links sql on a fresh server with no info in it just the software and within seconds we had 60% of the resources used by page.cgi.

Anyone has any idea of this issue?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] { Urgent }Server overloading problem by page.cgi and user.cgi In reply to
That's odd.

Did you try reparing your MySQL database? Not just the links tables, but the SQL tables? There might be delays trying to access things. Although, if search isn't bogging down as well that would be odd. Uusually it's jump.cgi people complain about <G>

page.cgi may be trying to access user data, and if so, maybe it's the user tables that are "bad" since that would be a common link that search.cgi wouldn't have.

without any other information, if you have not made any modifications, added any plugins, or made any other changes in that time frame, you'll need to send a message to support, and let one of the GT techs get back to you.

Did you change templates, add/modify a global, or something else that might be consuming resources on a page fetch?

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] { Urgent }Server overloading problem by page.cgi and user.cgi In reply to
Hi,

First thing to check is make sure you don't have debug turned on (especially with a value > 2 as that does extensive logging).

Second, check that you are not getting spammed. Look at your Apache logs and check to see if somebody is flooding your server with requests to page.cgi or search.cgi.

Third, check if you have installed a plugin recently. There may be a conflict in one of the plugins that is causing an issue.

If you'd like us to take a look at things, send an email to support and include admin and ssh info and we can pinpoint the problem.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] { Urgent }Server overloading problem by page.cgi and user.cgi In reply to
Hi Alex

All those issues were addressed and non seems to be the problem.

I just sent the email to support. I will appreciate the help as this is costing me a lot of time and money.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Hi,

Are you sure you've sent it? I just checked the support system, and nothing seems to be there from you. Email me personally if you like: alex at gossamer-threads.com.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] { Urgent }Server overloading problem by page.cgi and user.cgi In reply to
Thanks

just sent an email.
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Hi,

The problem was with a global you had 'users_list'. It was failing to compile, and for some reason that was throwing things into an infinite loop. I'm not 100% sure why that was happening, as compile errors on other systems do not cause these loops. I'll see if I can track down why perl is getting stuck like this. In the meantime, if you get another compile error with one of your globals, you can track it down by running page.cgi from shell.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Alex: Sep 2, 2003, 12:10 PM