Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

commuinty and auto matic help desk integration

Quote Reply
commuinty and auto matic help desk integration
Hello all Smile

I was playing with help desk and am about to use it. I was wondering what it would take to create a community (or lsql) plug-in that automatically creates a help desk user account once a community account has been validated? Any ideas or volunteers to make this?

helpdesk.com distributes this well known software...
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] commuinty and auto matic help desk integration In reply to
If you just want helpdesk to automatically create a new user account, it would probably be easier than asking community to manage the logon.

I've thought about this, blocking, or reserving names in a program that are being used by Links/Community/Etc.

1) The program you are using needs to be modified to not allow new users to be created You need to remove the "sign up" system, and have it redirect to Community. This is a "hack" <G> unless the program allows plugins to override normal behavior.

2) Community needs to create/reserve the associated username in the program you are using. This would take a back-end script that would insert a new user, created from the community logon. It might be able to be done with a plugin, or again a "hack" that runs the "create_help_account.cgi" that inserts the data of the new users into the target application.

In theory, this should be fairly simple, depending on the complexities of the application's logon/user checking routines. A perl or php script can mimic a user using a web browser, so setting up the user account _should_ be possible from a back-end process. Disabling the front end is the problem.

If the program uses a database for users, then simply inserting the user into that database _should_ suffice. If the program sets up a variety of things for that user (complex sign up) the problems start to increase.

Waiting for the community final (or last beta) would be a good idea, though.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.