Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Regional/World DMOz imports acting funny....

Quote Reply
Regional/World DMOz imports acting funny....
Hi. Has anyone ever managed to get the Regional/World categories from DMOZ imported ok? I've been noticing a lot of funny charachters, such as;

Commerce et í©conomie (8637)

As you can see, that is not right. I've written a perl script to go through a lot of these bad charachters, but I really don't fancy having to run it for every bad charachter in the database Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Regional/World DMOz imports acting funny.... In reply to
Think I may have found a fix for this. In SSH, before starting the import, run the following command;

iconv -c -f UTF-8 -t UTF-8 Regional.dump.slice > valid.Regional.dump.slice

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Regional/World DMOz imports acting funny.... In reply to
I've now written a script (with help for Alex) that uses Unicode::UTF8 to translate these bad charachters. This script now comes as part of the distribution package of my DMOZ_Wizard plugin.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk