Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Stats-/LogFile-Plugin
Hi folks,

I got a cool idea for a new LinksSQL-Plugin.

A complete Stats-/Logfile-Plugin. O.K. most people already have a log-file analyzer, but integrated in the LinksSQL-Admin-Area this would be much better I think.

The Plugin should be able to handle the normal functionallity of a log-file analyzer, like
  • showing the page-views by hour, day, week, month and year,
  • showing the number of unique visitors, by hour, day, week, month and year,
  • etc.

but also
  • showing the page-views per category by hour, day, week, month and year,
  • showing the number of unique visitors per category by hour, day, week, month and year,
  • showing the number of hits per category by hour, day, week, month and year,
  • etc.

I think some people will have some more good ideas for such a plugin.

My point now is, that it would be very great if someone would be able to create such a plugin in the short run and I think such a plugin would be a strong argument for LinksSQL and will increase the product quality very much.

Cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Stats-/LogFile-Plugin In reply to
I've written a program which takes the results generated by webalizer, inserts them into a mysql database, and then charts/graphs them. This saves on the huge sizes of logfiles and allows you to compare multiple sites against each other. If you want the code, I'll send it to you.

This kind of app is best done using the server logs, as you rightly suggest. Integrating it into the LinkSQL admin area, and some of the latter suggestions is, however, slightly gratuitous / pointless. How would it interface with Links SQL? Why couldn't you just use Webalizer's capability of listing the most popular directories?
------------------
Dorg Hurgler Van Schongleur,
NordHein Van Resetelem, Belgium.
Eck SchekeBuugler Technologies.
Quote Reply
Re: [searchposts] Stats-/LogFile-Plugin In reply to
yes of course you are right,

but using webalizer I havent got the possibility to show the stats like unique visitors or total hits per category. this would be very interesting for advertisers. and of course you can use webalizer and create another plugin, but the point is, that a whole-in-one solution would be much more comfortable!

Cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Check this one out Manu.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=200458;

Ian is working on something that might get close.
Quote Reply
Hi,

As someone who runs (ran?) sites with 1-3 million server hits a day, log files are something of a luxury, not a useful tool. When webservers were getting 20,000 hits a month, they were a cute idea. When they got to 20,000 hits a day, they were the start of a problem, and at 20,000 hits an hour, they are virtually useless except from an FBI point of view, or if you wan to see your gross referer stats (ie: how people are hitting you).

If you want to log 404 errors, it's best to use a guardian script.

If you want to log specific page views, it's best to use counter tags, SSI, or something else.

If you are running Links dynamically, it would be best to create a plugin that was run at the end of GT::Template::display to log whatever page views the user was sent. You could even define which pages you wanted to track, and how you wanted each page logged. You'd have access to each tag on the page, so you could log however much, or as little, information as you want, without any overhead.

If you are running Links staticly, it's much harder to get a real handle on it, since servers like AOL will cache the pages, and you won't ever know how many hit you -- unless you use a dynamic-image tag (ie: counter, or banner ad). That brings me to the point, that if you _really_ want to know what is going on on your pages, install a banner program, let it serve up your page-specific images, and you'll have completely detailed accounts of what is going on on each page :)

Just some thoughts.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Stats-/LogFile-Plugin In reply to
In Reply To:
...unless you use a dynamic-image tag (ie: counter, or banner ad). That brings me to the point, that if you _really_ want to know what is going on on your pages, install a banner program, let it serve up your page-specific images, and you'll have completely detailed accounts of what is going on on each page :)

Just some thoughts.

hi pugdog,

the banner-solution (1x1Pixel-Banner) was also one of my first ideas, but the point is that for example using adcycle, you cannot track unique visitors.

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
Hi Manu, see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=200535. Click on the link in this post and you can see a mock up.

Edit: Also, my editor montior tracks some of these thing (in a way) for editors, but could be adapted to track things like you are asking.

Maybe this will help Wink

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 14, 2002, 8:56 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Stats-/LogFile-Plugin In reply to
hi,

the toolbox-plugin and some questions of my advertisers brought that idea to my mind.

but one of the biggest points is the tracking of UNIQUE VISITORS !

Cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Jun 14, 2002, 9:35 AM
Quote Reply
That would not be hard to write, I wouldnt think.

Just track the session files.

It is relativly simiply to track people who log in, but those who dont is a little trickier - you need to use the session files.

I currently track editors, and a couple mods to the code wil allow it to track all users. There would just have to be another function which tapped into Link's session files, and recorded the information each time a session was created.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins