Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Plugin name suggestions wanted!

Quote Reply
Plugin name suggestions wanted!
I'm planning a plugin, which will extend features of link adding, modifying, and maybe deleting...

Could be help me naming it?
Any name ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Webmaster33
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Plugin name suggestions wanted! In reply to
How will it extend them?
Quote Reply
How 'bout:

LinX

LinXL

LinXT

Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Plugin name suggestions wanted! In reply to
Will have many optional features, like those features which was/are added to the Extended link display plugin.
It is not really clear what kind of features will be needed to be added, but I'm sure there will be some.
I don't know if LSQL has preview feature when adding, if not the plugin will support it.

Also currently there is not support to include the Enum type forms (select, checkbox, etc) by tags into the add.html template. The only available form tag is the category list form tag, nothing else. You will find my other thread here, where I describe this problem: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=206532

Well, the plugin is firstly created for my needs, and if I found it useful for the public, and I will have time to work it out to be easily usable, then I will release it to the public. Not sure yet, under what kind of licence will be released (depends how much I work on it).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Plugin name suggestions wanted! In reply to
>LinX, LinXL, LinXT
Thanks DogTags. They are good, but I think they're not enough descriptive about the function of the plugin.
The plugin will have new features for the link add, modify, delete features, so should reflect this in name a bit.

I just got an idea, I'm curious about opinion of LSQL users...

So I would like a name related to Add, Modify, Delete Link features.
What do you think about the name?:
Extended AMD link plugin (the AMD is the short version of Add, Modify, Delete).

Opinions?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
>>
They are good, but I think they're not enough descriptive about the function of the plugin.
<<

Thats because you didn't give us much info which is why I asked Angelic
Quote Reply
Hi Webmaster,

For a plug-in which is broad and "extends" a range of features, perhaps use the term 'extend' in your title as this would be descriptively relavant.

Example: XTend, or LinksExtend or ExtendLinks.

Just my ideaSmile

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
And what do you think about the name?:
Extended AMD link plugin (the AMD is the short version of Add, Modify, Delete).

As I told, the plugin will add new features to and extend with new features of the add.cgi, modify.cgi, delete.cgi. The project is just started, so I have not plan, what features will be included, yet...
I'm sure there will be need new features. I also gave example for a missing feature, which applies to both add.cgi, and modify.cgi (the missing html form tags).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Plugin name suggestions wanted! In reply to
How about this?:
Xtend A-M-D plugin (the AMD is the short version of Add, Modify, Delete). The more shorted version may be X.A.M.D.

If many of you like better the "Xtend" name, then my Extended links plugin may be renamed to:
Xtend Link Display plugin (shortened X.L.D.)

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Perhaps you should just focus on the plugin itself and make sure it is really good...the name isn't that important really unless you are releasing a product commercially (I know this is commercial in a way but it isn't really the same)

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 21, 2002, 10:20 AM
Quote Reply
Paul, I aggree name isn't that important.
However, the plugin may be released as commercial, if it will require a lot work from me.
As I wrote the first goal is to get a working plugin for myself, then I will decide to release or not.

The name may be important if I decide so useful to release it.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Not really, the plugin is a small addition to Links SQL which is the main product. As long as people know what the plugin actually does then that is the most important thing. People use/buy plugins for the features they provide, not because they have a great name.

The best names are the most simple ones anyway, as with corporate logo's. You can't get much simpler than a tick, yet the Nike logo is the most recognised logo in the world.

Quote:
the first goal is to get a working plugin for myself.

Precisely.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 21, 2002, 12:06 PM
Quote Reply
I use a lot of <%if%> tags to do things on different sites, depending on if the Username is a LinkOwner, Administrator or Editor.

What about Link Edit Plus or LinkEdit+ or even Link+Edit

If you are extending features "Plus" is a good term.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Plugin name suggestions wanted! In reply to
Maybe Links Xpress;)
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Plugin name suggestions wanted! In reply to
Finally I decided to use the following names:
(while I aggree with Paul, that the name is not the most important feature of a plugin Wink)

Xtended Link Display plugin (XLD) (a.k.a Extended links plugin)
Xtended A.M.D. plugin (XAMD) - the add.cgi, modify.cgi, delete.cgi plugin
Advanced Link Expirator plugin (ALE) - (a.k.a. Expire links or link Expirator)

A summary about my plugin developments is posted here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rum.cgi?post=207110;

Thanks for all your help and for the ideas!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support