"Available Updates" behavior
"Available Updates" behavior

Lets say I make an edit to links/admin/Links/User/Review.pm

I change:
$input->{Review_Validated} = 'No';
To:
$input->{Review_Validated} = 'Yes';

General questions:
How does the updater deal with my customizations? Just overwrite them?
How do I know if an Official update overwrites this customization?

Is it possible to have a "custom update" that would be shown on the Available Updates section of the Admin?

This "custom update" could apply edits I have made to the source code. I would "install" the custom updates AFTER doing an official update. Just an idea.

Thanks
Chris
RGB World, Inc. - Software & Web Development.
rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
The Gossamer Update does not handle any modifications that you have made - it however does list all the files that the update will replace. So if you have any modifications, you'll need to make them again (of course the best way, though not always possible, would be to make your modifications through plugins).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
Hi Adrian,

Is there a way to disable the automatic updates to avoid problems?

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
The updates are not automatic. You have to choose which updates to install, it never installs them itself.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
Would u recommend the following:

chattr +i file.pm after modification
log that somewhere in logbook

when updates come

chattr -i file.pm
cp -p file.pm file.pm.orig

run the update

Put the custom changes back in and save

chattr +i file.pm

A bit involved, but then that's what Admins are for. Is the above feasible?

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
I donát really think, that GT should support the custom modifications done by users.
That's why the plugins are: to expend the GT app functionality, without touching the original code.
I don't recommend to anybody to do diret changes in the core code.

And if somebody does, then should not await from GT to make updates possible for such custom modified GT apps... Then you are on your own...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
Quote:
I donát really think, that GT should support the custom modifications done by users.
I don't think so either.
I was (originally) just wondering the best way to continually keep reapplying my edits. I will use whatever method is recommended by GT (whenever possible); whether that be plugin or a "custom" update. I think it is not practical to expect that no-one will need to make an edit to source code.

Quote:
I don't recommend to anybody to do diret changes in the core code.

Then we need a "auto_validate_reviews" option Smile

Or else, I HAVE to edit source code, changing a "No" to a "Yes" and we're back to step 1.

Chris

RGB World, Inc. - Software & Web Development.
rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
You could use a visual text comparison tool, to reapply your changes.
Also you can export diffs of your changes.
There are several visual text comparison tools around, free & commercial ones, too.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
If GT *can* support local mods, they should.

The real money, for them, comes from highly customized sites. The more carefully their update program works, the better it is for everyone.

Rather than performing the upgrade itself, there should be an option to download the upgrade as a "patch". Allow the user to use the patch utitlity to make the changes. Most changes are to a single subroutine, or a single line of code. That does not mean all code has to change.

If they store the "patch level" for each file, even in another table, it would make things *so* much better.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
I know.
It could be possible to detect if a file was changed or not. All files have MD5 sums, so change detection is in place.
GT should develop additional modules, which could apply patches, list changes, list file diffs, interact with user in case of patch conflicts, etc...
I would welcome these improvements.

BUT: my main problem is still the old one. Hacks would result a lot unnecessary support tickets both for the company and the forum. And you may know user support sometimes is at least the same or more costly than the development itself.
That has too high risk, and maybe won't worth the efforts.

My other idea, to make the self-support stronger on the forum, would be likely be more effective. IMHO.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
In Reply To:
If GT *can* support local mods, they should.

The real money, for them, comes from highly customized sites. The more carefully their update program works, the better it is for everyone.

Rather than performing the upgrade itself, there should be an option to download the upgrade as a "patch". Allow the user to use the patch utitlity to make the changes. Most changes are to a single subroutine, or a single line of code. That does not mean all code has to change.

If they store the "patch level" for each file, even in another table, it would make things *so* much better.

This is something I would be interested in having as an alternative; I do not have a single site, which utilized LinksSQL that is not heavily customized. While tutoring individuals in the use of this program I teach them how to customize LinksSQL to fit there needs. Auto-update would actually be a burden instead of an enhancer.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing

Last edited by:

SandraR: Mar 18, 2005, 7:53 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
My other idea, to make the self-support stronger on the forum, would be likely be more effective. IMHO.

Not to be aggressive and please do not take my post in a negative manner.
Personally I like the large library of questions and answer developed by this forum. With every question this library of knowledge simply grows better and better. Self-support is wonderful but does nothing to enhance or expand our knowledge base.

Your posts are reflecting you're wish towards more self-support. My question to you is - do you want increased self-support so you can enhance your pay for answers business?

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
Can you each define "self-support"? I understood that to mean using the forums for support. Like SandraR I find the forums to be an incredibly useful depository of information. If self-support means using the documentation and getting private support, then it is not what I was considering it to be.
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
loxly,

My understanding of self-support per webmaster33 is look it up in the manual. He has made that comment on more than one occasion. I may be wrong but clarification would be nice.

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
Quote:
Your posts are reflecting you're wish towards more self-support. My question to you is - do you want increased self-support so you can enhance your pay for answers business?
This is not about me.

Note, that if the email support requests are increasing at GT staff, the development will be slower.
The more email support questions are, the more slower development happens...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
This is not about me.

Note, that if the email support requests are increasing at GT staff, the development will be slower.
The more email support questions are, the more slower development happens...

I'm still confused, I consider the forums to be a strong method of self support. Personally I don't think I have emailed GT other than to ask for plug in development. Do you consider the forums to be self support or not?

I guess I am still not understanding that specific term and what you mean by stregnthening it.
Quote Reply
Self-support has more steps to find answer to a given problem:
  1. user should look in the FAQ
  2. user should look in the docs (note, there are 2 docs: Manual and Help on the admin interface)
  3. user should search Google
  4. user should search the forum
  5. finally user can ask for help on the forum, where other users will likely answer him for free
  6. optionally the user may want to ask for paid help from me or other forum members
  7. Finally ask GT staff.

GT staff could be saved from a lot unnecessary user support requests if users would follow that way, so they could concentrate just on the (hopefully faster) development...

That should be the usual way, IMHO.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
My Self-support steps:
  1. Search the forum
  2. Check the FAQ and manuals
  3. Contact friends more knowledgeable
  4. Finally ask GT staff

I have not contacted the staff in over 2 years, because all my answers can be found here in this forum or through an associate. GT does charge to get answers from them, which is as it should be. You have an agenda to develop your business I understand that, you’re comments appear to surround the development of your business and not really for the betterment of GT. NOT TO SAY THAT’S TRUE – but the appearance is there loud and clear.

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
I would rearrange the order of your outline a bit, but normally I would follow your steps at some point. However, I would trust GT staff before I would trust someone I don't know to answer a question. GT staff is there to support the installed base in addition to developing new products. Also, how does GT know what is needed if they do not get questions?

I would definitely NOT go to private support from an unknown source before I asked GT staff directly. In my case, I do have other people to ask, and if they don't know the answer they tell me to ask GT.

How do I know that someone that puts themself out there as paid support *really* knows what they are talking about? If GT staff feels the need to eleviate the load on their staff, then maybe they can point inquiries to private support that they trust.
Quote Reply
Hey, it seems you don't like, that I offer paid support...
Then don't look at my posts. It's so simple.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Your kidding right?

I was concerned about your agenda and claiming it was on behalf of GT, your posts are not for GT but for personal gain. You sent an associate of mine to the manuals when he already expressed frustration after reading the manuals and came to the forum requesting assistance. I am thankful people like Andy was there to help.

I hope you have a successful business, I also do business using LinksSQL and am not against any type of advantages one can make for themselves. But I do not claim my business is for the betterment of GT when it’s for the betterment of myself.

I look forward to reading more of what you have to say, I just hope it’s tempered with a bit more compassion for those seeking assistance and not only for your wallet!

Sandra Roussel

Last edited by:

SandraR: Mar 18, 2005, 10:54 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
You sent an associate of mine to the manuals when he already expressed frustration after reading the manuals and came to the forum requesting assistance. I am thankful people like Andy was there to help.
Probably you should read the mentioned thread again.
Also your associate, Tondelo was grateful for Andy's and my help.
I have nothing more to discuss about this subject with you.
Here is the URL:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=278769#278769

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 18, 2005, 11:17 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hey, it seems you don't like, that I offer paid support...
Then don't look at my posts. It's so simple.

That is incorrect, I pay for support and for plugins from people I know and trust. I don't like the "call me before you call GT" attitude. They need to know what issues their users are having. Who are you? What sites do you have running GT? What are your qualifications? Your website doesn't answer those questions well. It just says pay me because I say I have the answers.

Self support, should be forum based, the words self and paid shouldn't be interchangable.

I think we all made our points, people can, and will, make their own decisions based on what they read here in the forums. I found my "support team" from reading and then contacting the people that answered questions and seemed open to discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] "Available Updates" behavior In reply to
Quote:
Also, how does GT know what is needed if they do not get questions?
They are reading the forum regularly, so they know about problems.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support