Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Search not functioning properly

Quote Reply
Search not functioning properly
Hi all,

I've got a strange problem - when searching for "VP" through my regular search.cgi form, it won't find any results.

URL looks like:
search.cgi?query=VP

If I change the URL to:
search.cgi?Brand=VP

Then it pulls up the VP link right away. The "VP" text is in the Brand column i created, which has a serach weight of 3, and I'm using the INTERNAL Indexing Scheme. When I search for other items using just the Brand, it works just fine. I'm completely baffled as to why it won't work for "VP".

I've tried both Rebuild Search and Repair Tables to no avail.

Anybody have any clue what could be going on?

Thanks,

Stephen
Quote Reply
Re: [biketrials] Search not functioning properly In reply to
I think the default minimum length of word to search for is 3. I think you can change this in Search.pm.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Search not functioning properly In reply to
Hi Laura,

You're totally right... I just took a look at the manual, and for INTERNAL, the minimum word length is 3! :-( If I could make it 2, I'd be quite happy! :-)

I couldn't find anything in Search.pm that I could change...

None of the other indexing options look good to me - I like being able to affect relevance with weights.

Thanks!

Stephen

In Reply To:
I think the default minimum length of word to search for is 3. I think you can change this in Search.pm.
Quote Reply
Sorry - should have been more specific - have a look at the Search.pm in admin/GT/SQL/Search/Base
Quote Reply
Thanks, Laura...

I changed 'min_word_size' => 3 to 2, but it still doesn't work (I restarted my httpd, just in case that matters). Perhaps something somewhere else? Might have to call in Alex on this one.. :-)

Thanks!

Stephen
Quote Reply
You'll need to rebuild search - it only searches through the words that it has put in the words table - you need it to add all the short words to this table by rebuilding.

Last edited by:

afinlr: Sep 25, 2003, 4:58 PM
Quote Reply
Good call, but still no luck...
Quote Reply
Hi,

You need to update both Base/Search.pm and Base/Indexer.pm. Once you do that, you need to rebuild the search index.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Search not functioning properly In reply to
Awesome! That works perfectly. :-)

Thank you very much, Alex and Laura!

Stephen