Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
reviews global
Is there a global for calling up the last 5 or 10 site reviews done?

Wanted to show it somewhere on main page.

Michael

http://www.adultdvdlinks.com

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
Re: [adultdvdlinks] reviews global In reply to
Thats funny, I was just wondering exactly the same thing?
Quote Reply
There are loads of "top5" globals about on the forum...you just need to find one you like and change the table/column names to work with reveiws.
Quote Reply
On a different issue, your site name got me interested. I had the domain name DVDReference.com, but lost it in a problem with my registar, but I maintained the .net/.org, and the names "GroupDVD.com" etc, which I actually like better for my purpose. (It's shorter, and has more "interactive" feel to it. "reference" implies something already done for you.)

I don't know if you are familiar with the DVD Profiler project, but they are very slow to update, are windows based, and have gone pretty far beyond with all the various region coding, and variations, etc. It seems very random and haphazard. I've been working on a new database schema, based on Links, and my "multi-upload/file" plugin, that should handle "variations" as well as maintain a single main "reference" point for each DVD.

I want it to be web based, more like IMDB's "My Movies", but with extended features for tagging or overriding the stock information. Sort of an advanced "My Links" + "Profile" set of plugins. Region coding can be handled the same way as variations or re-releases, by using a form of an overlay. Etc.

My interest is not the usual "adult" stuff, I like the soft core T&A flicks from the 70's and 80's mostly in that genre (with the legendary Scream Queens), but I like _BAD_ movies, the B or C flicks from the drive ins from the 50's and beyond, especially SF and "Cult" classics (or not-so-classic), and the Italian Vampire movies. Pretty much the stuff that was made for DVD release, before they knew what DVD was <G>.

My database will be seeded with my own collection, which is touching 1000 discs, but will hopefully be a group project, and while it's a "me too" in this field, I think I have better ideas, and better software than most people to keep this going. (that's why we are all using LInks :O)

I need a site that has a working database, and reviews that I can hack on, and try out my stuff. That means I'm looking for the cooperation of a few sites with large review databases, especially in the DVD or Image areas, to use for testing. I don't need to mess with your live site (much <G>) but I need to get snapshots of the database (and templates), to import into a test links, and try out what I've got. Specifically, I need databases with at least 50-60 users, and 500+ reviews. The number of links is not as important as the number of users and reviews (and ratings). The sites of course need to have USER Logons enabled, anonymous logons/reviews are not helpful at this point. I also need the sites to use the Ratings Tracking plugin, where only logged-on users can vote, and each user gets one vote per link (but can change that vote), since this is the tie-in to the reviews system (users can edit/change their reviews and ratings -- the sysop can set how, how often, and if old reviews are logged).

Anyway, if any sites are willing to let me use their data, you'll get a free install and license for this plugin when it's done. I hope it will be easy to install, but my first goal is to get it written, then stuff it into a plug in. (actually, it's being written as a plugin, without the install.pm routine).

BTW: I only need 3 or 4 different sites, but they need to have the minimum sized database as above.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
I found this:

sub {
my $tags = shift;
my $id = $tags->{ID} or return "No ID found.";
my $avg = $DB->table('Reviews')->select('AVG(Review_Rating)', { Review_LinkID => $id })->fetchrow;
return int($avg);
}

Here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=182567

This is not what we are looking for, but its a start I think.

I also found this: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=138486 except this appears to be for Links, not Links SQL, so I am not sure.

I am hoping to show the top 10 most reviewed sites on my Popular page. Hopefully this can be done with globals.

PS. There is this from the resources page:

sub {
# Displays the newest links on the home page.
my ($output,$sth,$link);
my $search_db = $DB->table('Links');
$search_db->select_options ('ORDER BY Add_Date DESC Limit 5');
$sth = $search_db->select ( { isNew => 'Yes', isValidated => 'Yes' });
while ($link = $sth->fetchrow_hashref) {
$output .= Links::SiteHTML::display ('link1', $link);
}
return $output;
}

I am thinking this could be the one to modifyWink

Last edited by:

sooke: May 4, 2002, 2:04 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] reviews global In reply to
If one wanted to see the newest, latest reviews submitted, why not make this part of the "What's New" menu?

100 New Links:
  • Monday May 06, 2002 (25)
  • Sunday May 05, 2002 (25)
  • Saturday May 04, 2002 (25)
  • Friday May 03, 2002 (25)

5 New Reviews:
  • Moday May 06, 2002 (2)
  • Sunday May 05, 2002 (1)
  • Saturday May 04, 2002 (1)
  • Friday May 03, 2002 (1)

Then when you click on the date for the review, a loop or list of:
  • The Links - so you could click on the reivew; or better still
  • The Reviews - with the associated links, and the author's details

What do you think? Maybe something for an upgrade?

Last edited by:

sooke: May 6, 2002, 3:58 PM
Quote Reply
Lets take this one step further....

The Whats New menu item should be configurable to show anything that is new, rather than just being limited to links.

Whats New:

X New Links:
  • blah blah

X New Reviews:
  • blah blah

X New Users:
  • blah blah

X New Editors:
  • blah blah

X New Categories:
  • blah blah

Of course some of these things not everyone might want, so you could set each item to be part of the whats new or not in the admin>setup.

Last edited by:

sooke: May 6, 2002, 3:55 PM