Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[NEW PLUGIN] UpdateMetaValues

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [gaorenst] [NEW PLUGIN] UpdateMetaValues In reply to
Hi,

The "Spider" plugin asks for a URL, and then grabs a list of URL's on the given page. Then, you can choose which ones to "Spider", and it will go through, grab the details (title, description, author, contact email, etc), and then give you a one-click button, to add the link to your database.

The UpdateMetaValues plugin just updates the values in your database, so that Meta_Description, Meta_Keywords, Meta_Author, etc are completed. This way, you can use this additional information in searches/your detailed/link templates.

Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [mgeyman] [NEW PLUGIN] UpdateMetaValues In reply to
Hey I had the same timeout problem and was able to fix it by adding this to the top:

Find
use LWP::Simple;

Replace With
use LWP::Simple qw(get $ua);
$ua->timeout(10);

Works great.

Also you may have noticed that the Meta_Title appears in the printout for Meta_Description...

heres the fix:

find
print qq{ Got DESCRIPTION $hit->{Meta_Title} <br /> } if $hit->{Meta_Description};

replace with
print qq{ Got DESCRIPTION $hit->{Meta_Description} <br /> } if $hit->{Meta_Description};

Thanks for a great plugin, with the timeout fix it works like a breeze.

In Reply To:
Andy,

It went all the way through without timing out!

Thanks so much!

Mark

Last edited by:

palehorse1677: Oct 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [palehorse1677] [NEW PLUGIN] UpdateMetaValues In reply to
One more thing, if you run it as a cron job you can comment out every line that says "print" to make it run faster and not fill your root email with it's printout.
Quote Reply
Re: [NEW PLUGIN] UpdateMetaValues In reply to
Hi,

Having a bit of trouble getting support for this plugin. I've sent Andy several emails but the last contact was when I paid for the program and mods, now it's gone dead.

Not saying I'm being ignored after I paid, maybe he's away, but I'm stuck, does anyone know of a program bug?.

Tried running it via browser and runs for a bit before it times out, tried using ssl and it won't start, says it's looking for config/data.pm (which exists) but it says it doesn't.

I don't know what to do but if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. Could be a problem with my Data.pm file but it is there and seems to be ok so I'm not sure what else to do, not really sure what it does ot be honest.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] UpdateMetaValues In reply to
Hi,

Mmm.. odd. I haven't had any emails from you?

What kind of server are you on? Plesk by any chance? Normally only Plesk servers that moan about Config/Data.pm not existing, as they have a weird path system (i.e the path a script uses, is different to what you get via SSH - *REALLY* odd system)

If not, then it could be something else.

If you want to PM (seeing as I don't seem to be getting your emails :/) over your details, and I'll take a look for you.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] UpdateMetaValues In reply to
Hi,

I've sent a test email to your gmail account (from my own)

Can you let me know if you have it.

thanks
Kevin

Cheers
KevM
> >