Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Trim_Field link for ....
Trim_Field works on all the fields for link and review (haven't testing it on user or category tables though).. now I was wondering how to setup a link for "....more" as the text is being trimmed, however want to make it easy for users to read by simply clicking on "... more" or "..... read more" type of text.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Trim_Field link for .... In reply to
Hi,

So what you are asking for, is a way to link the "..." to a detailed page?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Trim_Field link for .... In reply to
Not actually detailed page.. as I am using Trip Field to trim review summary to only 150 characters.. and then it shows ..... while in link.html description is being trimmed to 200 characters.. So if there was an way to specify link tags for each trim command, it can be used to setup design layouts for user profile page, in link.html user can link it to detailed page, while in review include for detailed page it can be linked to review search result page.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Hi,

Right ok - so basically, when they click on it - the rest of the text shows - ya?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
yeah that would be perfect. You plan to setup javascript to expand the content on same page or setup link that admin can setup to go on page specified by admin?

Vishal
Quote Reply
I'll just use JQuery - trying to work out how to do it now =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Wait a sec.. don't use jquery... it adds up page load time .. do you think it would be possible to add a link to go to different page?

p.s.. I think I have a info about other light weight js that might do the trick. Will try to look for it.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Erm, if you don't like JQuery - you can edit it to use something else :P I'm doing you a favor by using my holiday time to do this Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well when you put it that way.. I will take you up on your offer.

Vishal
Quote Reply
There is a "lite" version of jQuery btw ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Not sure if this is the one you are working, here is one jquery plugin, it is pretty good http://henrik.nyh.se/examples/truncator/ as it allows html/formatting in the trimmed text.

Vishal
Quote Reply
I'm using the one that lets you use:

$('$rand_string').hide();
..and
$('$rand_string').show();

(as its easier than trying to code something that works in more than just one browser - cos IE is bloody annoying with showing/hiding div's_)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
IE seems to be having few issue with CSS too... its been little bit of pain to create a css based site.. making sure it works on different browsers. I personally use Firefox, but seems like majority of site users still use IE. So have to satisfy them.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Mmm, well the perl code works fine - but for some reason the JS code doesn't seem to be making the content show / hide :( I've posted on a JS forum where there are some gurus, so hopefully they can point me in the right direction (probably gonna be something simple, but I can't see it for the life of me at the moment)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, well I've got the code working now:

http://ultradev.com.nmsrv.com/...ar_test%2Findex.html

Just need to get it packaged up, and update the documentation.

Was a silly mistake - I was using $('#$rand_string').hide() , instead of $('$rand_string').hide() Tongue (notice the missing #, which tells JQuery its a div ID we are dealing with = ))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Ok, version 2.3.8 can now be downloaded from our site (the link in my sig) ... jusdt pass in '1' as the last paramater, and follow the new instructions on how to use the new feature - and should all work fine.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk