Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Edit links directly from Detailed pages.

Quote Reply
Edit links directly from Detailed pages.
Here's a good tip which will allow you to edit your listings directly from the detailed pages, rather than having to search for them in the browser.

• First create a global to display category numbers in Detailed pages (thank to Andy for this from another thread):

Tag:
    Code:
    get_cat_id

Global:
    Code:
    sub {
    return $DB->table('CatLinks')->select ( ['CategoryID'], { LinkID => $_[0] } )->fetchrow;
    }

• Next add the following anywhere you like in Build > User Templates > detailed.html:

Code:
    <a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/browser.cgi?action=link_modify_form&category_id=<%get_cat_id($ID)%>&link_id=<%ID%>" target="_blank">[Edit This Link]</a>

• Now go to Database and in the Editor box select Users / Modify and click Go.

• Put your username in the in the Username field and click Search.

• In the results box change your status from Registered to Administrator.

• Now go to Browse and expand Home. Click on the first category listed. When you list appears click Editors in the top box.

• Add yourself as an editor here and click Add Editor.

That's it. Now when you are logged in and you view a detailed page you will be able to click on [Edit This Link] and it will open the database details for that link.

Last edited by:

MJB: Feb 13, 2011, 5:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Edit links directly from Detailed pages. In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for sharing :)

Probably better (if using dynamic/mod_rewrite pages), to do it like this - so only the admin see's this link:

Code:
<%if user.Status eq "Administrator"%>
<a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/browser.cgi?action=link_modify_form&category_id=<%get_cat_id($ID)%>&link_id=<%ID%>" target="_blank">[Edit This Link]</a>
<%endif%>

Obviously that will only work in dynamic pages though Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Edit links directly from Detailed pages. In reply to
That was the first route I tried but <%if user.Status eq "Administrator"%> didn't work on the Detailed pages for some reason.
Quote Reply
On statically built pages? (i.e using "Build All"), or with mod_rewrite?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Edit links directly from Detailed pages. In reply to
mod_rewrite. I added it to the header and it displayed on every page but Detailed so reverted back to the code above which works fine.

If it ain't broke......
Quote Reply
The reason I selected 'Administrator' is that you only have to enable Editors for a single category to allow global editing.

If I left it as 'Registered' you would have to enable Editors for every category for the username.

I can't find anywhere in the browser to enable 'Global Editor'.
Quote Reply
MJB wrote:
The reason I selected 'Administrator' is that you only have to enable Editors for a single category to allow global editing.

If I left it as 'Registered' you would have to enable Editors for every category for the username.

I can't find anywhere in the browser to enable 'Global Editor'.

Yeah, thats normal Smile

I actually wrote a plugin a while back, which lets you assign users to multiple categories much easier:

http://www.ultranerds.com/...n/QuickEditors_L194/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk