Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v1

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [mgeyman] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v2.5 In reply to
Hi Mark. Hows it work now?

DMOZ Wizard - (for v2.1.2, Plugin version: 1.6) (for v2.2.0, Plugin version: 2.5)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v2.5 In reply to
Perfect!

Thanks.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v2.5 In reply to
Version 2.6 is now out (available from the "Members Area" on our site). This version fixes up a HTML issue, whereas the checkboxes on the right didn't match up (about 60% did, but the rest were wrong).

I only just found out about this myself ... so I've fixed it up as soon as possible :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v3.0 In reply to
Hi,

Version 3.0 of DMOZ_Wizard is now available, and ready to download from the Members Area.

This includes several main new features;

1) Rewrite of the slice script (includes better support for foreign category imports)
2) Updated code on the setup page, so that XHTML rules are followed.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hey Andy, I have tested the previous version of DMOZ wizard and it did worked like a charm, however the issue is GLinks (dynamic mode) worked very slow (upto 45 to 300 seconds for a page to load) for me when I actually tried to browse the categories. Have you tested the working on of the *entire* dmoz dump on GLinks for loading speed?

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v3.0 In reply to
Hi,

Yeah, the new version of GLinks doesn't seem to cope quite so well as LinksSQL. However, with a powerful enough server, the entire DMOZ content should be fine.

It sounds more like your server was just too busy =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

Yeah, the new version of GLinks doesn't seem to cope quite so well as LinksSQL. However, with a powerful enough server, the entire DMOZ content should be fine.

It sounds more like your server was just too busy =)

Cheers

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the informative reply.

I tested full DMOZ dump (minus World and Adult Category) in GLinks version on my dedicated server with nothing else on it. The server is Dual Xeon 2.0 Ghz, with 2 GB Ram and SCSI drive.

What do you think.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v3.0 In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Thank you for the informative reply.

No problem =)

Quote:
I tested full DMOZ dump (minus World and Adult Category) in GLinks version on my dedicated server with nothing else on it. The server is Dual Xeon 2.0 Ghz, with 2 GB Ram and SCSI drive.

What do you think.

Sorry, was that a rhetorical question? I can't see a link to look at <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v1 In reply to
I've downloaded the entire content.rdf.u8 file to my pc and would like to know how to exclude the adult-orientated content so I can transform hopeforyou.com into a large search engine. Please give me detailed instructions.
http://www.hopeforyou.com

Quote Reply
Re: [HopeForYou] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v1 In reply to
The best way, is to either import each top level category individually (you might not want the world category either, used to have lots of funny characters and stuff).

Or, you could import the whole database, then delete the adult category, or others.

There's a problem with the import wizard and GL3's "tree" structure. In the beta, we had a work around for it, but I just did some new imports, and had loads of orphan categories that had to be fixed. I had to move each "tree" somewhere else, then back, to fix it. None of the repair tree/repair functions worked.

I don't have time to figure out why/what happened with this, I'm too deep into some other stuff at the moment.

*BUT* if you are simply importing the database, and leaving it where it imports, it should work. Maybe brewt could look at an import and figure out what is not happening with the tree system to cause the categories to get "stuck" and not update when renamed/moved.

http://deadmanschest.com was imported from dmoz, quickly, which is when I noticed this.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v1 In reply to
Do I upload the content.rdf.u8 "as is" to the server? If not, what steps should I take to prepare it for uploading? Finally, I need to know the commands to get her working.

Note: I plan to delete adult and world categories later.

Last edited by:

HopeForYou: Jul 26, 2006, 3:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HopeForYou] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v1 In reply to
Actually, the dmoz wizd does all that for you. It will download the content.rdf.gz file, unzip/extract and add in your categories for you. If you run it several times, just uncheck the "re-download content.rdf" box.
Andy was pretty complete in it, I just cleaned up the interface a little. I think the current download includes the cleaner interface.

Please leave a PM here.

Last edited by:

pugdog: Jul 28, 2006, 2:56 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ New Plugin ] DMOZ_Wizard v1 In reply to
Andy,

You're the ultimate "DMOZ Wizard" and Hope For You! Corporation truly appreciates your smart plugin!

Cool

Peace and Happiness

Last edited by:

HopeForYou: Jul 31, 2006, 7:01 PM
Quote Reply
"unexpected end of file" error In reply to
I'm getting a "unexpected end of file" error while trying to import categories individually.

SOS

Quote Reply
"Incorrect usage" error In reply to
Incorrect usage.

The path and filename to the RDF file that you gave does not exist, or does not have read permissions set correctly.

Last edited by:

HopeForYou: Aug 8, 2006, 6:09 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HopeForYou] "Incorrect usage" error In reply to
Andy " The DMOZ Wizard",

Thank you for resolving our technical issues and giving our search engine hope!

Quote Reply
Re: [HopeForYou] "Incorrect usage" error In reply to
Also,

I have a partially finished plugin that extracts from a dmoz-links install by keywords/search criteria.

So, rather than selecting out a category from DMOZ, you can search a GL3/Dmoz installation by keywords, and export links based on that.

It's not really finished, but it's passed alpha, and I've used it (in manual mode) to set up some niche sites that were not being well handled by the standard dmoz interfaces.

It was a way I thought about to keep people's sites updated, and fresh with content from several Links/GL3 sites over time. So, that a "Nexus" site would run a large databse, bringing in links and data, updating from dmoz, making sure screen shots were available and fresh, etc. You could request new links from a time period and/or search criteria.

I never finished it, I got side tracked with the image/uplaod system(s), but if there a call/need/want for this sort of item I'm happy to discuss it.

There are a lot of side issues trying to maintain compatibility with everyone's site, and that means an importer program that you have to configure to map fields from the "Nexus" database export to your specific one. I never did tackle that <G>. But, I'm always available for paid/commission work :)

I know I posted more about that here, and since I've not posted a lot of other messages the past year or so, searching on my posts should bring up mostly the plugin updates/discussions.

Please leave a PM here.
> >