Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Does the validation routine "shut off" a link?

Quote Reply
Does the validation routine "shut off" a link?
I'm trying to upgrade from an old version of Linksql. Still fooling around with it on a test server getting ready for the upgrade. What I'm not sure of, is there a way to get nph-build-verify to temporarily disable bad links if they show certain errors for X days? I don't like the old way of just deleting a link that goes bad. I would have preferred to keep the data and just disable bad links and having a record of whoever was in the database in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: [dwh] Does the validation routine "shut off" a link? In reply to
I'm pretty sure there is NOT a way to do this using the file.

I cannot remember one time in the hundreds of dead links I have found manually and by complaint that I would want to temporarily disable the link. Usually the link is dead for good or something completely new. If that is the case, it is worth taking the time to delete and add again. Sometimes, however, you get the case where the site is temporarily down. In my case, by the time I check the link it is back up.

I do not know you situation or for sure the capabilities of links, but I do know my experiences...

Time Passes, live...

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] Does the validation routine "shut off" a link? In reply to
Two reasons I want it temporary. First, I run this daily. Sometimes there are sites that don't return a 200 code because the server is temporarily down. No need to remove those, but I wouldn't mind putting them on hold. The other reason, I want to remember a link that I took down for whatever reason so if the original person comes back, I can have an internal note as to why I put it in "hold"
Quote Reply
AFAIK, it shouldn't delete the link if its found to be inactive (it will just set "Status" to whatever code was returned, i.e 404, 200, 401, 403, etc).

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
There are two options...

A.) Add a field in links that says display link (yes, no)... and somehow modify links so that it does not display any link if check no... (it would be nice if this were already written but I'm pretty sure its not)...

B.) Make a new database for the links to be placed in (more practical)...

Seems to me it would take some work... if its not worth it you can always copy the links out manually...

Let your heart decide...

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
I take it back... in linksSQL (the newest one, 2.2, I know for sure) there is an option

Simply change isValidated to No...

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Yeah, simply setting a link to "isValidated => No" should do the trick. You have to make double sure any globals you are using takes this into consideration though (or else, you may get links showing up with your globals, even if they are not validated).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Does the validation routine "shut off" a link? In reply to
but then when you click on Validate Links, that link will show up again, won't it?
Quote Reply
Correct. Otherwise, add a new flag (i.e "Stopped", Yes/No), and then modify the validate_links (not sure which file I'm afraid, try a 'grep' to find out).

It should be as simple as adding in an extra argument to the condition, i.e;

{ Stopped => 'No' }

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk