Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

mod_perl startup.pl

Quote Reply
mod_perl startup.pl
I've just become a proud owner of Links SQL and I've also downloaded the trial version of Gossamer Forum. I have a question regarding the mod_perl startup file. According to the instructions:

Links startup:
Code:
use lib '/home/www/perl/links/admin';
use Links::mod_perl;

Forum startup:
Code:
use lib '/home/www/perl/gforum/admin';
$GForum::mod_perl::admin = '/home/www/perl/gforum/admin/admin.cgi';
require GForum::mod_perl;

Do I really need to require both mod_perl modules from both applications? If I only need one of them, which one... the use or require, and is there any reason why one is using and one is requiring?

I'm also amazed at the plugin system used in Gossamer products! It's going to make hacking so much easier and more robust!
Quote Reply
Re: [paulj] mod_perl startup.pl In reply to
Hi,

You need both Links::mod_perl and GForum::mod_perl in your startup.pl file. This makes sure all apropriate modules get preloaded properly. You should put the latest program first though (i.e. Links SQL 2.1.0 before Gossamer Forum 1.1.1, this ensures that the latest version of GT:: libs are being used).

You want to keep it as described in the README.mod_perl.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] mod_perl startup.pl In reply to
Sorry, one more question,

Would it be better if I put all the Gossamer scripts in the same root. That way whenever an app gets updated, the shared libraries will be overwritten with the new ones. Or will this cause more problems?
Quote Reply
Re: [paulj] mod_perl startup.pl In reply to
Hi,

Sorry, must have missed that one. Yes, we do that here on Gossamer. We basically symlink the GT directory to a central lib, and use that. We strive to make sure that the GT libs are backward compatible and that as long as you are using the newest ones, programs can share them.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.