Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Setup Problem

Quote Reply
Setup Problem
I am trying to setup a test forum using the demo software but keep getting a "Cannot Connect to Database" error. My website is:

http://www.audioheritage.org

The host service is:

http://www.becamation.com

This service runs an Apache server and the "SiteMadeEasy" tools to add support for MYSQL databases. I am using a MYSQL database called "forum".

The following is how I have filled out the setup dialog boxes (passwords obviously not copied):

FTP Server: ftp.audioheritage.org Port 21

Login Name: **************

Password: **************

Path for CGI's: /home/audioheritage/www/cgi-bin (create directory box not checked since already exists)

URL to CGI's: www.audioheritage.org/cgi-bin

Path for Images: /home/audioheritage/www/images (create directory box not checked since already exists)

URL to Images: www.audioheritage.org/images

Use CGI Wrapper (unchecked)

Database Type: MySQL

Database Name: forum

Login Name: forum

Login Password: *********

Hostname: Localhost

Prefix: forum

Drop Existing Tables: (unchecked)

Path to Perl on Remote System: /usr/bin/perl

Administation Email Address: lansing@audioheritage.org

Email Server: /usr/sbin/sendmail

After clicking Install, test.cgi is sucsessfully uploaded but then I get a "can't connect to database" error during setup. One thing I noticed is that the setup screen above asks for a database login name. The "SiteMadeEasy" tools indicate that there is no username - just the database name and password.

Any help greatly apprecaited.
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website
Quote Reply
Re: [warc1] Setup Problem In reply to
I believe you need to set-up a mysql user on the mysql server that explicitly allows connections from the remote host. I don't think there is a way to do this through SiteMadeEasy, so you'll probably have to ask tech support to do it for you. Just tell them that you need to set-up a new user and specify the host you want to connect from, username, password and mysql permissions (you probably want full permissions).
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] Setup Problem In reply to
Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply. My ISP is basically washing their hands on this issue stating that they do not do support on MySQL. I do have a telnet access so that I can likely do the setup myself, but I have no idea where to begin since I am a novice with both MySQL and telnet. The scant MySQL literature on SiteMadeEasy states that I have to access the database through telnet while set up as 'localhost" since remote access is not allowed. Again, I do not know how to do this. I use Putty for telnet access and can successfully log into the site, but I don't know where to go from there.

Thanks

Don
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website
Quote Reply
Re: [warc1] Setup Problem In reply to
Try using "root" for the mysql username. If that doesn't work, try looking at the ~/.my.cnf or /etc/my.cnf files to see if they contain any mysql username/password information.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Setup Problem In reply to
Thanks everone.

It is now fixed. My mistake was assuming that the username was set within MySQL. It appears that the username is just the account name for my web. Using this username allowed me to get going and I am now set up at:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/forums/froums.htm

Thanks again.

Don
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website