Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Changing default user settings

Quote Reply
Changing default user settings
I'm sure I'm being stupid but there are two settings I can't find a way to change the defaults.
When a new user signs up I want the Edit Profile | Display Settings | After posting: setting to default to "Return directly to post" and I want the Edit Profile | User Profile | Send reply notification checked by default to be set to No.

How can I achieve both of these aims ?
Quote Reply
Re: [davidnavigator] Changing default user settings In reply to
In Reply To:
I'm sure I'm being stupid but there are two settings I can't find a way to change the defaults.
When a new user signs up I want the Edit Profile | Display Settings | After posting: setting to default to "Return directly to post" and I want the Edit Profile | User Profile | Send reply notification checked by default to be set to No.

How can I achieve both of these aims ?

Is this

a. Not possible
b. so badly explained no one understands what I'm asking
c. such a stupid question answered in the FAQ that it's not worth answering ?

Help Smile
Quote Reply
For the refresh thing, I think (apologies if I'm wrong), if you just change the order of the options in user_profile_display.html (i.e., move the "return directly to post" option to the very top of the listing there) that should be enough.
Quote Reply
Re: [agaffin] Changing default user settings In reply to
Thanks, although that would work if a user tried to edit their profile, I don't think it would work for a new user.
Quote Reply
Oh, true!

May not be the most elegant way to do it, but on your user signup page, you could force it by adding a hidden input tag:

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="user_default_reply_notify" value="0">

Actually, you could do that for pretty much any other field you want to set.
Quote Reply
Actually I was being stupid. It seems all I need do is alter the default settings for the relevent fields in the database table.
Changed user_do_after_post to post_view and user_default_reply... to 0 and all works loverly.