Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
subscribe to this forum
Is there a quick way to add a "subscribe to this forum" button to a particular forum, much like the way "Watch Thread" button works?

I looked at trying to hack it by using the exact same form post as user_profile_email.html template, but that doesn't really work because:
  1. it deletes all other forum subscriptions, I need it to add only, not add/delete
  2. it can't redirect back to the current forum, there isn't a "you are now subscribed to this forum" template available.

Thanks,

Joe
--
Christianity.com Forums

Last edited by:

joet: Jan 29, 2003, 10:11 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [joet] subscribe to this forum In reply to
I tried to do the same thing a while ago, and didn't proceed exatcly for the reason you mention. Here are some thoughts:

- best thing would be: Jason adds some code such that if you pass in "update_one=1" (or something similar), then only the forum_id you are giving in the url is added/deleted.

- if he doesn't want to do that then you would have to create a global where you find you to which forums a users subscribes. Then you'd have to create a link (or a one button forum) that takes all the output from the global and formats it correctly. This would also allow you to change the link text from 'subscribe' to 'unsubscribe' if the user is already subscribed.

- redirection can be done by 'redo=forum_view'

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] subscribe to this forum In reply to
I have asked GT to build this for me a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, they are swamped at the moment. Jack said that he would find someone to help me out soon. When complete, I'll make it available to everyone (or urge GT to do so).
Quote Reply
Well, I've written an intermediate plugin to do this functionality, I guess until this becomes an official gossamer forum feature ;)

You need to add this button somewhere within the <form> tags on the forum_view.html template.

Code:
<input type="submit" name="do=user_profile_email_add;forum=<%forum_id%>;next_do=forum_view;update=1" value="Subscribe to this Forum" class="submit">

Let me know if you encounter any problems with the plugin. Thanks!

Joe
--
Christianity.com Forums
Quote Reply
And here's the plugin ;p

You can see this in action at http://forums.christianity.com/
--
Christianity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Thanks! Loaded it and it works like a charm.

Dave
Post deleted by jigme In reply to

Last edited by:

jigme: Sep 1, 2003, 1:01 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,
I know this is a very old post but could you expand on this.

I tried adding :
<input type="submit" name="do=user_profile_email_add;forum=<%forum_id%>;next_do=forum_view;update=1" value="Subscribe to this Forum" class="submit">

but i just get "No such action 'user_profile_email_add"

I'm assuming it is because there is no action associated but I tried to add one without success.

Any help would be appreciated from anyone as I am new to GForum

Edit Darn it... just realised I didn't see the plugin file hidden away on the left Crazy

Last edited by:

chapelier: Apr 1, 2008, 12:48 PM