Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Sites with pictures

Quote Reply
Sites with pictures
Are there users who used pictures in their database ?
I try to make a balloonregister. You search for the call-sign.
You receive a list with all (or one) call-signs.
You go to this page, and then I think that there are two possibilitys :
1. You receive all the information with a link to a picture

2. You receive all the text information and the picture is in this screen.

Questions :
Is this possible with dbman ?
Are there other sites using dbman with pictures ?

------------------
--- Luc
Quote Reply
Re: Sites with pictures In reply to
Sure. You can have pictures.

Are you going to be saving your pictures to your own webspace or are you going to be linking to files on other servers?

If you're going to be saving them to your own webspace, you have two options. You can either name the files to match the key value of the corresponding record -- for example, the photo for record 1234 would be 1234.gif -- or you can have a field that holds the name of the record.

So, there are three possibilities --

1-pulling in a file from another server (you would need a field in your database to hold the URL for the file)

2-saving the file to your webspace with a name to match the record

3-saving a file to your webspace and having a field that would correspond to the file name.

With all of these, you will have to create your own html_record subroutine. You will not be able to use the autogenerate feature.

It would be best, if you are saving the files to your own server, if you had all the files in one directory. That will save a lot of space in your .db file.

Also, would there be a photo file for every record? That makes a difference in the coding so you don't end up with a "broken image" thing on your browser.

Did you want to use the picture as a link to another site? If so, you will also need a field for the URL of the other site.

Yes, there are a lot of other sites that have pictures, I'm sure. I just finished a custom job for a client that uses pictures.

Let me know which one of the above fits what you want to do and I'll get you fixed right up. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply.

I have two servers that I can use, but one of them alows no cgi-scripts. On this server I would save all the photos. I would create something like you can see on http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/activepages/ccarcs/default_e.asp .

The user need only to search and view. I need no password.
Then automaticaly a search-screen where it is possible to search after some different fields. (call-sign, manufacture, ...)
I have tried the short display on your site, and this works fine.
But, is it possible to give more information after the first search. I think to see a list with call-sign, then manufacture and type (only an example).
Then you come in one other screen with all the information of the balloon.
In the Belgian Balloon register, we haven't all the pictures. We missed some older balloons, and also some new ones. It is then possible to ending with a "broken image" thing on my browser. I know, but maybe I can create a general picture for all the balloons without picture.

If possible I would put all the pictures on the other server. I think that it is a little database (300 diffrent balloons), with a lot of work.

A year ago, I have seen somewhere a site with people that sold houses. This database has also pictures and a lot of information. But I have lost the URL.

A search

------------------
--- Luc
Quote Reply
If your pictures are going to be on a different server from your script, it would probably be best to give each picture its own name and to have a field where you can input the picture file name. That way you can enter the "generic" picture's name in the field for the ones you don't have pictures of.

(Did that make any sense? Smile )

Quote:
The user need only to search and view. I need no password.

You will probably want to have authentication, though, so you can add/delete/modify records yourself through the web. Otherwise you'll have to do any modifying by hand offline and then upload the file to your database.

Quote:
Then automaticaly a search-screen where it is possible to search after some different fields. (call-sign, manufacture, ...)

That's no problem, but we should probably stick to discussing one thing at a time.

Quote:
I have tried the short display on your site, and this works fine.

Great! Smile

Quote:
But, is it possible to give more information after the first search. I think to see a list with call-sign, then manufacture and type (only an example).

Sure. Whatever you want. I only listed one field in my example, but you can have as many fields as you want.

I'm not sure where the realty (selling houses) database is now either. I lose track pretty quickly.

I got your email and I'm pleased that you have read my tutorial. One of these days I'll get it finished! I'll answer your email about custom work as soon as I get finished here.

------------------
JPD