Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

formatting results

Quote Reply
formatting results
I'm having trouble getting my results formatted properly.

The URL is http://www.treefort.org/~lscritch/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi

If you "List All," only the first 9 fields contain results. (9 is the number of fields in the default database, coincidentally.) And, instead of putting each field in the *database* into its corresponding field in the *results*, all the results are going into the a single field. (This is much easier to demonstrate than explain.)

If you "Search," you have to use the "Keyword" search, otherwise you get a "no search terms specified" error. When you do use the "Keyword" search, for example on the string "arizona", once again, only the first 9 fields contain results.

So it seems like that magic number 9 is somehow the hangup.

Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: formatting results In reply to
Without looking at your html.pl file, it would be hard to say what the problem is.

The only thing I can think of without seeing your setup is that you might be using %rec instead of $rec{'FieldName'} or that your field "% change in the last 2 years" (probably not the exact wording -- my brain doesn't retain things very long Smile ) might be causing a problem.

My suggestion is that you make your html.pl file available in text form on your website and let us know how to get to it. (Just copy the file into an accessible directory and rename it something like "html.txt". If you already knew that, forgive the explanation. Just making sure. Smile )

------------------
JPD

All my advice is offered on the basis of kindness-ware. If I've helped you to solve a problem, go out of your way to be kind to someone today.

Quote Reply
Hi Larry,

I haven't had a look at the html.pl file ( wouldn't let me save it ) but I could look straight into your cgi-bin/dbman/ directory. So I could look up the admin password and so on. You should make sure that nobody but you can access that Directory. Otherwise you will attract others to hack your DB ( hope not though ).
Another suggestion would be in your database.cfg to change the numeric fields to alpha. That way you could add a "-" in the phonenumber. But that's just from my own expierience Smile.

Well not much but maybe a start..

Cheers

Broder
Quote Reply
Hi Larry,

I've had this problem before. One time it was caused because I didn't have a new line character at the each of each record. The other time is because I had been messing with the field positions in the cfg file. More than likely your problem lies in the cfg file so take a look at that and make sure you have the field positions setup correctly for your setup.
Quote Reply
OK, html.pl is copied as html.txt. It should
be readable by all now.

Thanks for the security suggestions. The final destination for the database isn't even on this site; I will be sure to heed all security measures in the final version.

The phone field is now alpha.

The field positions *might* be the problem; I'll look at that. But it might be the newline thing too, since it's a database NOT
created from scratch with dbman. Can anyone coach me through a perl or shell script for
appending newlines to each line?
Quote Reply
It looks like I have it figured out.

Dirty data. It was exported out of FileMaker Pro as tab-delimited text, and there's problems with the tabs not all being in the right places.

Thanks to everyone! Now I'll put on my rubber gloves...