Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

fine tuning of dbman

Quote Reply
fine tuning of dbman
i have finally got dbman working (my ineptness not the code) and am pretty impreseed with it. but when i start i go straight to the main menu, i would like to have a log-on first. do i have to specify this in some way in the start-up. like dg.cgi?log-in or something.

secondly, my users will have, initially anyway, only view functions and i want them only to be able to search on defined keywords or with a redirect functions, the same as several online infopedia that i have seen. can i delete all the additional fields from the html code for my users, leaving only the keyword field, while maitaining all the fields for myself. someone has to put in the information after all.

my third question will wait for later when i find that i cant lay-out the information the way i want (^8*.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Re: fine tuning of dbman In reply to
To get the login at the start, you just need to use

/db.cgi

unless you have renamed your .cfg file to something other than "default." If you have, for example named your .cfg file "stuff.cfg," use

/db.cgi?db=stuff

If that doesn't give you the login screen, there's a couple of possibilities, which I don't want to get into unless I have to. Smile

As for a default search, you can do it a couple of ways. You could put your keyword field or select list for searching directly within html_home. That way the user will get the search as soon as he logs on.

The other way is to build a separate search form subroutine -- call it sub html_search_form -- with the fields you want them to be able to search on. Then, in html_view_search and html_view_failure, use
&html_search_form instead of &html_record_form.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Re: fine tuning of dbman In reply to
Thanks a lot jpd. just so you dont think i am totally useless, i managed to figure out the first myself. the other i wouldnt have worked out in a qwillion years.

------------------
cybergaz