Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

a very nice BLANK screen

Quote Reply
a very nice BLANK screen
OK i managed to solve all the problems with servers and links to perl and all that good stuff. Thanks to Xitami server... Yeeah.

So my script is running, I know that because a couple of test scripts are working. But, when I run dbman I get a blank screen. I know it is working because there are no more error messages, but it doesnt seem to want to do anything. Auto-generate is on, etc, etc., so what am i doing wrong now.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Re: a very nice BLANK screen In reply to
hmmm, not enough info for me to help you really, but it might have to do with your default.cfg file. I don't use the autogenerate option so I can't say for sure, but I get the same thing whenever I screw up the html formating. You're gonna have to post something in text readable files for real help I guess. JP whatcha think?
Quote Reply
Hmmmm. A blank screen. Take a look at the page source in your browser. In Netscape use the "View" menu, item "Page Source." I'm sure there's something similar in IE. One nice thing about Netscape is that often if there's a problem with the html coding, you get flashing letters.

One thing to watch out for with Xitami (although this won't be a problem until you can actually see something! Smile ) -- in the auth.pl file,

change

my ($server_auth) = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} | | $ENV{'AUTH_USER'};

to

my ($server_auth) = '';

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Well this is all that is displayed when I do a view source:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

so basically there is no body. Help where did my body go? I have been disembodied.

Any perls of wisdom out there.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
well netscape navigator is a little more helpful. It tells me that the document contained no data. Try again later or contact the server's administrator. But i am the servers administrator. I suppose i better contact myself.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
How odd! Have you changed anything in the html.pl file?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
nope i did not a thing to the html.pl file. honest.

do you think that maybe i should download a new dbman and start again. this is very frustrating.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
well i took my own advice and reloaded dbman.
lo and behold it worked, sort of.

i changed the config file of course, but other than that i left everything else alone.

i managed to get to the main menu screen this time, improvement straight away. unfortunately that is as far as i got. if i select any other option: home, add, modify, etc., it then opens the db.cgi file in the wordpad editor. This also happens if i use the small test print script that you provided. Though it doesnt happen if i run another test script called printenv.cgi.

help, i dont want my users to have this problem.

a virtual beer for anyone who can help me with this problem.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
well i solved my own problem by changing the path to my database in the config file from C:/..... to my server address http://....
So simple really.

now begins the hard work....

but at least i can buy myself a real beer.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
I appreciate your posting how you fixed it. If anyone else has a problem like this, I may remember what you did and can help them.

It's always nice to find the answers yourself, though. Smile

------------------
JPD