Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Sid
Hi,

I have seen other DBman sites have as one of their hidden fields "sid" and the value is a whole bunch of numbers. My first question is, what is this used for. My second question is, how can I call for this too.

------------------
JFrost

Quote Reply
Re: Sid In reply to
I've never seen "sid." I have seen "uid" which is the user's identity after they've logged in -- their username and whole bunch of numbers. This is a hidden field that is created automatically in html.pl.

If I'm wrong and there is a "sid" field, could you give me an example of a site where you saw it?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi,

Actually I have seen this at http://www.vitaminprice.com . I know this site was created with DBman, but I don't know what this is myself, I was hoping you would know.

------------------
JFrost

Quote Reply
I have no idea what that is. I did at least finally find what you were talking about.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
as that is a commercial site, could that be a Sale Identifier?

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
I suppose it could be. But it's not a variable that DBMan uses. Unless it's a field name.

I just looked at it again and it does appear to be some sort of generated number that changes from one entry to the next. Maybe there's a counter file to keep track of the number.

Ah. Here's something from the site:
Quote:
When you enter VitaminPrice.com a unique ID number is attached to your viewing of every page. This ID number enables you to go anywhere within this site and any and all of the purchases you make are collected in your "shopping cart".

Since you obviously are not a competitor, you might write to the site owner and ask him.

------------------
JPD