Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

MORE problems...ARGH!

Quote Reply
MORE problems...ARGH!
Here is my error message I get now, when I try to use the database for the clients I am trying to demo this for:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Error loading required libraries.
Check that they exist, permissions are set correctly and that they compile.
Reason: Illegal octal digit at bwnw.cfg line 63, at end of line

Script Location : /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00403
Setup File : bwnw.cfg

Form Variables
-------------------------------------------
db : bwnw

Environment Variables
-------------------------------------------
DOCUMENT_ROOT : /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs
GATEWAY_INTERFACE : CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT : image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/xbm, image/x-jg, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en
HTTP_CONNECTION : Keep-Alive
HTTP_EXTENSION : Security/Remote-Passphrase
HTTP_HOST : www.bookworldnw.com
HTTP_UA_CPU : PPC
HTTP_UA_OS : MacOS
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.5; Mac_PowerPC)
PATH : /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
QUERY_STRING : db=bwnw
REMOTE_ADDR : 209.181.90.36
REMOTE_HOST : kdsl36.sttl.uswest.net
REMOTE_PORT : 5284
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
REQUEST_URI : /cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=bwnw
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi
SERVER_ADMIN : webmaster@bookworldnw.com
SERVER_NAME : www.bookworldnw.com
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.2.4

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: MORE problems...ARGH! In reply to
the problem is obviously in your config file. unfortunately not enough info to go on here for me. check line 63 in the .cfg file and see what the wierd digit is at the end of the line that is causing the problem.

maybe it is just a case of deleting it....

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
I looked, nothing funny. Just like the other files (the default.cfg file), except for my actual fields. Argh!

Same damn error. This is annoying.

------------------
Quote Reply
You might try putting the .cfg file in an accessible directory and adding a .txt extension to it so we could take a look at it.

It's my experience that the line numbers given in the debugging screen are rarely the lines where the actual problem is. It's either on that line or somewhere before it.

Quote Reply
Ok. The file is at:
http://www.bookworldnw.com/cgi-bin/dbman/bwnw.txt

Thanks.

------------------
Quote Reply
Scratch that. Its at:
http://www.bookworldnw.com/bwnw.txt

------------------
Quote Reply
I might have found the problem, not entirely sure as i dont know enough about perl really. but if you go to the Notes line in your definitions. At the end of that line there are a couple of spaces after the comma and before the carriage return. this might be what the problems is as there are no spaces on any other line. i suggest you delete them and check again.

let me know if that was it as it is one for the books.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
oh yes if the foregoing didnt work. try this. we used to do it for eps graphics files that seemed to be corrupted.

create a new empty config file and copy all the information content over from your existing config file to it. delete the old config file and save the new one with the same name.

stupid and absolutely no logical reasoning behind it but it used to work for our 'seemingly' corrupted eps files. maybe invisible character get created by accident and are then deleted when you copy over. too much for my feeble mind to cope with.
Quote Reply
Found your problem. Actually it was on line 63! Smile

Code:
DJ => [7, 'alpha', 08, 20, 1, '', ''],

Take out the "0" before the "8" in the field length. If you want the field lengths to line up nicely, use a space.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Ok. That worked, thank you!! But, now that I can get in. The data is not coming across right.
Can you take a look at the site and the bwnw.txt (as listed above) files and let me know what I am not doing this time?

http://www.bookworldnw.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=bwnw

Thank you.

------------------
Quote Reply
Set $autogenerate to 1 in your .cfg file until you're ready to build your own html_record and html_record_form.

You may have to rebuild your database. It's hard to tell by looking at it now.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Ok, the html pages come up correct. But now the data doesn't load correctly... so close. =)

Take a look .. thanks again.

------------------
Quote Reply
I don't know if you can use a "\t" as a delimiter. Maybe you can, but I've had more success with using a character like a |.

Also, it appears that you have your field names in the first row of your database.

One way or another, your .db file is going to need some work.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
You can use tab's as a delimiter, however:

$db_delim = '\t';

tell's perl to look for a backslash followed by a 't' and use that as the delimiter. What you want is:

$db_delim = "\t";

You need the double quotes for perl to treat \t as a tab.

And yes, tab's work fine..

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex!

Mocomm, from the looks of things you are missing a field in your database -- probably the userid field. In other words, you've defined more fields than you actually have in your database. Probably the best thing to do would be to import the database back into Excel and add another field for userid. You may need to fill in a value in the userid field on at least one record in order for it to export correctly. (Actually, you should probably fill it in on all the records, but that shouldn't be too much work in Excel.)

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hey that works great! ... Only now the data is coming in all whacky. Guess that has somehting to do with my data. Any suggestions to the format of the data file? (i.e., layout in Excel before converting to a tab delimited file)?

Thanks for the help. I am trying to get this working smoothly so I can sell it to the client (they are a commercial store). =)

Eric

------------------