Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Installation failure

Quote Reply
Installation failure
Dear experts,

Hi, I have just installed the dbman script for my homepage. I followed the installation instruction precisely. I have only changed the "#!usr/local/bin/perl5" and the database file path. I have also changed the file path in the default.cfg file.

I can run the script but only the Main Menu Demo screen comes up. What should I do now to register myself as an administrator. Please help me!
Quote Reply
Re: Installation failure In reply to
What kind of server are you on?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I am using Apache Server.

I would like to thank you for your time to help me. Thank you. =)
Quote Reply
Hey friends!

Ummm, I've been on Apache for a while now with DBman but I never declared the first line with perl5 and never really seen it displayed that way in all the FAQs I've read. Maybe you should drop the "5" unix should point you automatically to the perl 5.004 if it's instaled on your server. so, it should look like "#! usr/local/bin/perl or even #! usr/local/perl" if worse comes to worse use telnet and type in "where's perl or what's perl" it'll give you the proper paths.

next, read the "readme" Alex gives a good description on how to set your config file for admin and such.

If you haven't changed anything except for path's then you should be able to run DBman with default configurations and then you can use the admin option to reassign the settings on users, guests, and admins. go in and change them, but don't forget to gie yourself admin rules first!!!! if you do forget you gotta reload the default config and start over cause you just locked yourself out.

Go back to the readme it really is quite descriptive.

LUCK
Quote Reply
Hey friends!

Ummm, I've been on Apache for a while now with DBman but I never declared the first line with perl5 and never really seen it displayed that way in all the FAQs I've read. Maybe you should drop the "5" unix should point you automatically to the perl 5.004 if it's instaled on your server. so, it should look like "#! usr/local/bin/perl or even #! usr/local/perl" if worse comes to worse use telnet and type in "where's perl or what's perl" it'll give you the proper paths.

next, read the "readme" Alex gives a good description on how to set your config file for admin and such.

If you haven't changed anything except for path's then you should be able to run DBman with default configurations and then you can use the admin option to reassign the settings on users, guests, and admins. go in and change them, but don't forget to gie yourself admin rules first!!!! if you do forget you gotta reload the default config and start over cause you just locked yourself out.

Go back to the readme it really is quite descriptive.

LUCK
Quote Reply
The reason I asked about the server is that I had a similar thing happen with a Xitami server. But that's not your problem, it would seem.

Check to be sure that in the default.cfg file, $auth_no_authentication is set to 0. And be sure to use
http://www.server.com/path/to/db.cgi
to call the script. Don't add "uid=default" to the URL.

I'm starting to get out of my league here, though, so I think I'd better stop. Smile

------------------
JPD