Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

I AM A F*@#$%& MORON! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Quote Reply
I AM A F*@#$%& MORON! PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Here is the deal: I am trying to use DBMan for a school project, and I am having major problems. I have downloaded perl, but I have no idea what to do with it? I need help soon, or I will flunk my class! I have setup default.cfg to use the new fields, but I am having problems viewing the cgi and using perl (do I even have to use perl???). I am running Win 95 OSR2 with an ethernet connection. Please Help!!!

D. Anderson
Quote Reply
Re: I AM A F*@#$%& MORON! PLEASE HELP ME!!! In reply to
I'm not really savvy in the area of networks, but are you wanting to run the script on a local computer? Or is there web server software on the network?

This makes a big difference. I can help you if you're wanting to run it on your own computer. I'm not sure about a network server.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
It looks to me like you're in over your head this time, kiddo.

What kind of Perl do you have installed, and from where? You need to get either the Win32 binaries, or the source so you can compile it yourself.

You most definitely need Perl, and a web server too. If you have the time, I believe you can get a free 10-user web server from Microsoft, called Personal Web Server 1.0. I believe it's part of the NT Option Pack, though the actualy server (paradoxically) is for WIndows 95. It's a pretty big download, but I can't think of any other free web servers for Windows 95. Once you have installed PWS, check out ActiveState (http://www.activestate.com/), and look for further information on installation. Once you have Perl set up on your web server, everything will work out pretty good.

Also, I recommend you get the trial of their Perl Debugger if you run into any problems, it's a great tool. I just wish they'd make a Linux version.

Anyway, that ought to help, come back if you have any problems.

------------------
-Zoot

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited March 10, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Another option is to install a web server called Xitami. I found it was very easy to configure and I can get it to work on my system. (I have PWS, too, but I can't figure out how to run a Perl script on it.)

Xitami is available (for free) at

http://www.imatix.com/html/xitami/index.htm

So, at least you have some options.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hello JPDeni, if you want to run Perl scripts on PWS, go to ActiveState for more information. The URL is http://www.activestate.com/.

Hope this helps.

------------------
-Zoot
Quote Reply
Thank you! I'll see if I can get it to work. Although Xitami is working just fine! Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Any time, JPDeni. After all, even the experts around here need a little bit of help sometimes. : )

Also, I forgot to mention that you want to look under ActivePerl at the URL above, otherwise you'll be spending a whole lot of time searching for the info.

------------------
-Zoot
Quote Reply
You better believe I need help sometimes -- often, in fact! Smile

I did find the info and have already passed it on to someone else.

Thanks again!!

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
You have to have server software on your workstation in order to run DBMan. It will not work outside of a web browser.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
PEOPLE --- HERE IS THE DEAL

I do not know what I am doing with Perl. I am trying to run this thing on a workstation - NOT a webserver. I have downloaded the DBMan script and Perl 5.something. I want to know if this will work on a Win 95 workstation that happened to be connected to the internet. This will eventually end up on a Novell Webserver, but for now it will need to run on a workstation. Thanks for your assistance.

D. Anderson