Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Newbie looking for tips.

Quote Reply
Newbie looking for tips.
I just downloaded the script and have installed it. Seems to be running fine.
Now I just need to do some custom work.
I am wanting to build a data base for
shareware, and freeware.
Can anyone give me advice on where to
start? Just looking for a few tips.
Thanks, Charlie...
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking for tips. In reply to
Think about the fields you will need and who you want to have access to view, add, modify and delete records. Read everything in the .cfg file to see what options you want to use. Then set $db_auto_generate to 1 and upload the new .cfg file. The forms and records won't look great, but you can make sure your .cfg file works.

Then start working on the html.pl file to make your forms and record displays look the way you want them to. There's two different approaches that work pretty well. One is to use the form and record formats that are in the default file, just replacing the field names (and adding or deleting some of the rows in the tables). You can change things like color in them, too, but I wouldn't change too much at a time without checking it out first. It's easier to find errors if you haven't done all your editing before you try to debug.

The other approach is to lay out your form and record displays in an html editor and then cut and paste them into the html.pl file. If you're going to want something that is a radical change from the default setup, this is probably the best way to go.

When you run into problems, come back here and do a search for any words you think might relate to your problem. There's a lot of good info here. You might even just try spending an evening or two reading the posts to get some ideas.

Most of all, read the documentation. The ReadMe and the comment lines in the script files will get you started at least. If you find there's something you want to do that isn't covered in the docs and you can't find in the archives here, feel free to ask.

------------------
JPD