Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Account Creation

Quote Reply
Account Creation
I couldn't find anything here in previous messages so I thought somebody out there might be able to help me ( HINT HINT ;-p ) ?

When creating a new User all you have to do is putting in a Name a Password and an e-mail address. Is there any way to ask for more Info as in Address, Phonenumber and store them hidden ? Data Protection wouldn't allow to display them ( and I don't want that ) but I want to have the Info for a Classified DB.

Any help is highly appreciated ...

Cheers

Broder
Quote Reply
Re: Account Creation In reply to
Hi Broder,

Yes, there are actually a couple of ways you can do what you want depending on how you are using dbman.

If you are using auto_generate, you just have to add new fields in your .cfg file with the -2 option (only admins will be able to see the fields). You have to add the new fields in the %db_def variable.

If you are not using auto_generate you will have to put a condition in your viewing subs (html_record, html_record_form...) so that on ly admins are able to see the records. i.e.

if ($per_admin) { print qq| ...Whatever... |;}

If your database is not really ment for storing people information (only a few different users actually use it) you are problably better of by asking all that info when the user requests for a login. This requires more work but if this is the option you are interested in, let me know....

cheers

-JO
Quote Reply
Hi Jaime,

actually I hope a lot of people will use it .
The idea is to put up classified ads but I want everybody who wishes to post an ad to log on so they can modify or delete their ad. In order to minimize abuse I thought it might be the best to ask for some personal info that I can ocasionally check ( phone, e-mail etc. ) .
So I wanted to get these Infos when they create their User ID.

Any more ideas. Oh I do not intend to use autogenerated HTML's..

Cheers

Broder
Quote Reply
Do you want to add these fields to the password file? If so, you might get some ideas from my answer to lukas at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum5/HTML/000589.html

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Thanks JPD,

but not really what I was looking for. I don't need another permission. I'm quiet happy the way it is ;-)..
What I need is that during the Account Creation Process, instead of "only" name and Password, for example e-mail and/or phonenumber has to be put in.

Well maybe I got you wrong ...;-) Not a Newbie anymore but not that deep into cgi yet..

Cheers

Broder

[This message has been edited by Broder (edited February 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Even though you don't need another permission, the process would be the same for adding more fields to the password file. You'd probably want to add the new fields to the end of each record in the password file.

Take a look at the lines that I mentioned would need to be changed and see if you can come up with what you need to do. If not, I'll try to help. (It's not that I don't want to help you. It's that I know what a great feeling it is to figure these things out for yourself if you can. Smile

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Hey JPD

I love this Smile you nearly always put in you messages ...
I will try to tweak the code and certainly let you know. IOh I went to your Site at drizzle.com and found some VERY useful stuff there . Thanks for sooo much support ..

Cee ya

Broder