Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline

Quote Reply
500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline
I recently moved my domain to hosts Gnxonline, I uploaded the dbman script that had been running for some time and got a 500 Server Error, nothing had changed or been altered even path to perl was the same, turns out that there server throws up the error if the directory the script is in has permissions set to greater than chamod 755.

ie: /cgi-bin/dbman/dbman.cgi

755 755 755 = Work

755 777 755 = No Work 500 error

Might save someone some headache

Unsure Glenn@redtin.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [redtin] 500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline In reply to
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this. I tried everything else (re-uploading, etc.) I'm not the brightest bulb, but I didn't think I could get beaten by a relatively straightforward CGI program like this.

FYI - I tried the STDERR redirect (in the BEGIN block) as stated in the FAQ, and my error.txt file was never written to. This told me that the host wasn't even executing the script. I even tried renaming "db.cgi" in case it had gotten a bad rep among sysadmins or something. I was thoroughly stumped until I saw this. Could this be added to a FAQ, or perhaps even the install guide?
Quote Reply
Re: [redtin] 500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline In reply to
Hi Redtin,

ie: /cgi-bin/dbman/dbman.cgi

755 755 755 = Work

755 777 755 = No Work 500 error

Can you tell me about the permission setting in NT server?

Please help.

Cary
Quote Reply
Re: [caryhung] 500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline In reply to
NT doesn't use permissions like UNIX does - 755 & 777 are UNIX permission settings.

It is not possible to further troubleshoot your files without being able to SEE the files. You need to save them as TEXT files and upload the files (default.cfg html.pl and db.cgi) where they can be viewed from the web.

~ Karen
Quote Reply
Re: [Karen] 500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline In reply to
Hi Karen,

I've sent my URL to you before, have you receive it?

Please help and send me an email.

Regard
Cary
Quote Reply
Re: [caryhung] 500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline In reply to
Quote:
I've sent my URL to you before, have you receive it?

Did you send the URL by private message? The screen indicates I've two personal messages to check however, an error message appears if I attempt to access. I've posted about the problem in the GT Forums forum.

~ Karen
Quote Reply
Re: [Karen] 500 Server Error at hosts Gnxonline In reply to
Cary, I was able to access the message and have replied there.