Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

password protecting records

Quote Reply
password protecting records
Hi, I'm trying to build a private database where people can post personal information about themselves, view their personal information, update their personal information, but they can ONLY view THEIR info, no one else's. Then, I get a searchable database of all their info, with everyone maintaining their own files.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you very much for pointers on mods for this stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: password protecting records In reply to
I answered your other Topic in the LINKS Modification Forum.

DBMAN is a better program for this type of project.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
In case someone is reading this forum and has the same question, I'll go through the steps.

In the .cfg file, set

$auth_view_own = 1;

and

$auth_modify_own = 1;

That way no one (except those with admin permissions) will be able to view or modify any records but their own.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. So is there a way for new users to register themselves and setup their own login and password?
Quote Reply
I see this being done at http://mrsm.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?signup_form=1, but is there a way to require an email address from new users, and then to send them an automated email with their login and password as a reminder for future use?
Quote Reply
Yes. There are a number of modifications available and you can do just about anything. Smile

I would suggest that you install the demo of DBMan first and then set up your own fields and page layout. After you get that done, then you can start modifying the script. It's a whole lot easier to debug any problems that might arise if you do one thing at a time.

------------------
JPD