Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

fish stocking database

Quote Reply
fish stocking database
This is my first time using Dbman and I am very new to database architure.

I am building a database for fish stocking on various lakes, throughout counties and states. There is over 20 years of fishing stocking information. There are three categories for stocking each year: Fingerlings, Yearlings and Adults.

So this is basically the info in the database:

State Minnesota
Lake Lake Minnetonka
County Hennepin
1980 #Fry #Fingerlings #Adults
1981 #222 #4444 #6000
1982 #Fry #Fingerlings #Adults
1983 #Fry #Fingerlings #Adults
1984 #Fry #Fingerlings #Adults

I would like for a person to search what lake has been stocked with the most...lets say the most fingerlings and then it would display the most first on down to the least. The problem is I want it to be able to display by year as well as by total over the years. How could a novice lto dbman and databases like me do this in the easist way?

Example code, mods or any ideas are mucho appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [muskiediver] fish stocking database In reply to
I would suggest visiting the FAQ noted below and viewing the threads within the topics:

Search
Sorting
Calculate

You could use the List Categories mod to have visitors view by year. But a custom search form would probably be the best way to go to get specific search results.

For totals you may need to look under "Viewing" for topics related to creating totals.

Hope this get you going. There are many great tips and tricks in the FAQ.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] fish stocking database In reply to
LoisC I appreciate your suggestion. I tried that but didn't find what I was looking for. SO if anyone else is reading this and have ideas. Please post them.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [muskiediver] fish stocking database In reply to
If you are new to this program, take it in steps.

Get the db working properly by editing the .cfg and html.pl files so that all the fields you need are included and the basic script is working properly. I couldn't tell for sure from your post if you have already done this.

When this is done, you can experiment with the search functions of dbMan and see what it can and cannot do and modify the html.pl file to get your display the way you want it.

Regards-
Judging from your database description, I would suggest looking at the "relational" MOD in the unofficial dbman FAQ, because efficiency-wise, it would be better to have two databases:

Database1:

State - Lake - County - ID (= database key)

Database2:

Lake - Year - Fry - Fingerlings - Adults - ID (=database key)

That way you don't have to have state and county together with each fishstock record - after all, you only need them once for each lake, don't you?
kellner