Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

excel question

Quote Reply
excel question
For those of you who modify your db file in Excel- how do you get it back to a pipe delimited file?!!! I can save as a tab delimited file, then replace all the tabs with pipes, but is there a way to save as a pipe delimited file while in excel? It takes forever to replace all of them.

In fact, I'm going for some coffee... maybe by the time I get back it will be done. sheesh.

I realise that this is technically an excel question, I just thought some of you may have dealt with this before.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: excel question In reply to
Hmmmm...I use Access so have control over Export delimiters. What version of Excel have you got?
Quote Reply
I have Excel 97. I have Access, Lotus Approach, and the Lotus version of Access- I can't think of what its called right now.

I'm not really familiar with Access, but maybe I'll give that a try... I hate using Excel anyway. Can I just open the db file in Access?
Quote Reply
typical... notepad couldn't handle it anyway and it stopped responding. I guess I'll be using Access- but I am still curious about what everyone else is doing in this regard.
Quote Reply
Well, this is I suppose what you do, or something similar. I just save the excel file, open in homesite, my text web editor. Add/replace the tabs with | and it takes just a few seconds with my 80kb database file.

Eoin
i.am/eoin
Quote Reply
Yes, I was doing a find and replace in Notepad. It took forever. I had about 10,000 records with 7 pipes to replace in each. I guess 70,000 is a little more than Notepad can handle.

A co-worker just gave me a quick and dirty Access lesson and it is much faster. I'm using Access from now on.

Quote Reply
(I prefer Access, too! Smile )

Just a little hint. When you're working with DBMan, Notepad is probably not the best choice for a text editor. The best thing to do is to use an editor that is designed for programmers, like Programmer's File Editor, EditPlus or TextPad.

------------------
JPD