Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Using check boxes

Quote Reply
Using check boxes
I have a database that has a drop down list of about 5 items. I now need that list to be one in which you can select a few choices. I was thinking I would need to change it to check boxes. I don't know if you could then do searches on the multiple items. Anyhow, I need advice on changing this drop down to checkboxes so more than one choice can be selected. Any advice is greatly needed! Thanks much
Quote Reply
Re: Using check boxes In reply to
Your best bet is to use the multiple select field that Carol and I wrote, which allows you to select multiple values of a field from a MULTIPLE drop-down menu. I JUST gave the codes out for this yesterday. Please search this Forum for Multiple Select Fields or something similar to that.

Using checkboxes would work, but you would have to set-up separate checkboxes for each value in the field, which would be quite time consuming. If all you want to do is select multiple values in a field, then use the Multiple Select Fields!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
OK bear with me as I'm a true novice. I found this thread. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/001315.html I'm guessing this is what you are talking about. Instead of using checkboxes to change my drop down list to multiple select fields. I can use the same one drop down field to have multiple selections when I am adding a record or modifying it. This is done with the fancy_multiple_select "thingy" field. But when someone goes to do a search and sees my same drop down list they can only select one option? Is this correct. It's fine if it is. I now need to change my drop down to allow multiple selects when adding and modifying and then I will probably need to change some codes for searching. The thread above will allow me to do this?
Quote Reply
For the searching, you would have to use checkboxes. So, you would have to create the drop down for the add and modify routines, then use the db_checkbox_field for the search routines. Hope this helps.

BTW: Carol did provide some codes for the sub query routine in the db.cgi file that is supposed to allow the multiple selection drop-down menu to work in the search from as well, but I was unable to get it to work.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------