Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

The Address Field info works..One more question

Quote Reply
The Address Field info works..One more question
Hi. Thanks for the info about using an address in a field. It works fine. The only odd thing is that the first line in the address is always indented, like this:

Instituto Estadual do Livro
Rua Andre Puente, 318
Porto Alegre, RS, BRAZIL
CEP 90035-150

Is this normal, or is there a work-around?

Thanks again.
puffer@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Quote Reply
Re: The Address Field info works..One more question In reply to
I'm not sure. As you can see, it's not indented here.

What you might do is run a search and then view the source of the page. Copy an address from the search page and come back here and paste it into a message so I can see the html code. I might have a better idea of what's happening.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
By a fix for diacritics, I mean this: a lot of the addresses in my database require accents, for example Estudios Hist—ricos. But when I enter accents it displays like you see above, instead of an "ó" with a accent above it. I know when you write diacritics on a web page you can manually put in the html code, like Históricos, but is there a way to automate this with the database?

Thanks for all your help. This is probably the last question.

Quote Reply
The first line is indented because there is an non breaking space(&nbsp Wink before the field is printed out. Just remove it from html_record and you'll be fine !!
Quote Reply
It now actually looks like the first line of the address field is indented as much as the first line of the other fields, but the rest of the lines of the address field are squashed against the left margin, making it look like the first line is indented. I realize this is only cosmetic, but it just looks strange. The easiest thing to do would be just to point you to the web address so you can see. It's http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/puffer/db.cgi

Secondly, am I supposed to put $rec{'Address'}=~s/\n/<BR>/g; after both incidences of my(&rec)=@_; or after just one of them? Does it matter?

Also, is there a fix for diacritics, or should I leave them out?

Thanks a lot for your help
Quote Reply
puffer,

Set your table cellpadding to 1 or 2, and that should take care of the address being squished against the margin. Like web dog said, there's a little nbsp; (blank space) at the start of each table cell in the html.pl display. This only affects the first line.

Dan
Quote Reply

Quote:
am I supposed to put $rec{'Address'}=~s/\n/<BR>/g; after both incidences of my(&rec)=@_; or after just one of them? Does it matter?

It doesn't matter if you put it both places. You only need it in html_record, where the record is actually displayed.

Quote:
Also, is there a fix for diacritics, or should I leave them out?

I'm not sure what you mean.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Can you enter the characters directly through the keyboard? If you can, they will be just fine. Otherwise, I think you're going to have to forget about them.

Oh, I guess you can. Smile You entered a ó. That's how you'll need to enter them into the database, instead of with separate diatrictics.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I just want to thank everyone who responded, especially you JPDeni. You've helped me a lot.