Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Short Story Database

Quote Reply
Short Story Database
I would like to build a short story database. Fields would be limited to probably ID, category, story, author. Any suggestions? I know the category issue has been discussed many times but how would one go about archiving the stories as they would probably be too long for one field? Perhaps a field that held the filename of the story? But this may mean a major revamp of the script. Adding a record would mean writing a new file for the story.... Maybe something along the lines of JP's upload mod write the story to $rec{'ID'}.txt... Any thoughts out there?

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Short Story Database In reply to
You could probably use the file upload mod for it. The text of the story wouldn't be searchable, though.

If you did use the upload mod, it wouldn't be too major a modification.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Chris,

Your set up looks great! Did you just use a single field to hold the whole news article or what. I would be very interested in seeing your files if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks
Mike
Quote Reply
Hi

If the total size of all the text of the stories is less tham 1Mb then the site I set up here: http://www.lizdavies.org/ (substitute news for stories and change the categories) is along these lines.

I'm planning to sort the code a bit and stick it up somehere as a DBMan modification (however, as it's currently set up it needs SSI).

Chris
Quote Reply
Hi Mike

The article text is in a field called Article (I think!) and all the articles are in a single database file - this is why it'll only work for a meg or less of data. However if it gets near that size then it would be well worth the money to get Alex to upgrade it to a SQL database.

I'm really busy at the moment but you are the 3rd person to request the mods I've done Smile and I will sort it out and post it, but it might be a couple of weeks before I find time to do it.

Chris
Quote Reply
Hi Mike

The article text is in a field called Article (I think!) and all the articles are in a single database file - this is why it'll only work for a meg or less of data. However if it gets near that size then it would be well worth the money to get Alex to upgrade it to a SQL database.

I'm really busy at the moment but you are the 3rd person to request the mods I've done Smile and I will sort it out and post it, but it might be a couple of weeks before I find time to do it.

Chris