Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Search all or multiple databases?

Quote Reply
Search all or multiple databases?
Hello all! Yes, I'm back from the dead!

How would I search all or multiple databases at the same time?
For instance, if I have 5 databases each for a part of a single item how could I search all of the databases?
Example:
If I do car parts and I have 5 databases for 5 different parts like:
-wheels.db
-mufflers.db
-horns.db
-glovebox_lights.db
-stupid_bumper_stickers.db

How could I search for something like manufacturer accrossed all five databases?

So if I submit "VW" it should return items from all databases containing a reference to "VW".

---- OR ----

If I had a part number but didn't know that it was a muffler all I would need to do is enter the number and it would give me that part's information.

Additionally, how would I display the returned information. As each database would have different numbers of fields and field names, can the listings be listed in the results page (short/long mod I think) properly and then switch to the default layout for the different databases?

Would this be possable to do in DBManSQL? I am using DBMan as a testing ground as I do not currently have access to an SQL server and plan to implement the actual project in the SQL version as the databases are likely to grow rather quickly.

Thanks!
beetlemanTongue

Marcus L. Griswold
Quote Reply
Re: [beetleman] Search all or multiple databases? In reply to
You can't search in all databases at once, but there are some examples listing in the FAQ under Searching to setup a form where you could have radio fields to choose which database to search within, etc.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/