Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

SSI all fields into a page

Quote Reply
SSI all fields into a page
It has been a while since I posted anything here, but I do read the messages for help.

My question is SSI. I must be doing something wrong when I try using it it get the 404 error message. Here is what I am trying to do. I have a database setup for equipment. Each person has their own log in. I use Id numbers for each piece of equipment. Misc info is added to the database for the equipment.

Next step.
I made a layout of each area the equipment is located and made "hotspot" links to to a page that displays info for that piece of equipment. I have been editing the html files by hand and thats getting old. I would like to be able to have others input the info, for their equipment, into the database and have it displayed on the page for that piece of equipment.

Did that make sense?

I have tried to use the "include file" and "include virtual" SSI but get errors....

I am using other SSI's and they work fine.

This all being done a machine running IIS 5 and W2k. Maybe I don't have something setup right?

Thanks

Last edited by:

amfreak: Mar 17, 2002, 1:30 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [amfreak] SSI all fields into a page In reply to
hmmmm no takers eh?

well I found out what I was doing wrong.I needed to use

<!--#exec cgi"cgi command lines here"-->

but to get it to work I had to remove the authentication.
how do I put the user ID and Password In the command line?

what is the easiest command line i could use to call the info?

I would call it by a eq_num field.

I would guess it would start like this<!--#exec cgi="/dbman/db.pl?db=equipment -->

thanks.....
Quote Reply
Re: [amfreak] SSI all fields into a page In reply to
I'm not sure why you are not just using the database itself rather than creating static pages. You can blend you database into your site so it would not be that obvious.

I'm thinking using the short long mod and then having them choose the equipment and display the full page view.

If you put the usernamea and password with an include statement you are defeating the purpose of security for your database.

To link to a specific record you would use:
&fieldname=
or
&ID= (if using a counter field)

Have you checked the FAQ under the section "SSI" and "Linking"

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/