Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

SQL SQL SQL Nooooooooooooooow! Anybody tried it?

Quote Reply
SQL SQL SQL Nooooooooooooooow! Anybody tried it?
Would like to know if anybody tried the sql version of dbman. Would like to ask a few things about it. Please reply, Smile
Quote Reply
Re: SQL SQL SQL Nooooooooooooooow! Anybody tried it? In reply to

Quote:
Received: from themis.host4u.net (themis.host4u.net [216.71.64.20])
by garlic.com (8.8.6.Beta3/4.03) with ESMTP id PAA33566
for <m_capps@garlic.com>; Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:11:41 -0700
Received: (from zidro@localhost)
by themis.host4u.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) id RAA29922;
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:11:31 -0500
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:11:31 -0500
Message-Id: <199906182211.RAA29922@themis.host4u.net>
To: m_capps@garlic.com
Subject: Regarding your Gossamer post
X-UIDL: `Wl!!5XF!!P)S"!$B;!!

Hello, how are you? I am emailing you as I've seen your post at www.gossamer-threads.com, from the people that created DBMan CGI database, Links and File Manager. I would like to know if you have a copy of DBMan SQL. This is the adapted version of the DBMan program that works with an SQL database.

If you do have it please contact me immediately. I have had some problems, this is really crucial for me. I also have a piece of advice for you that will help you for sure.

Did anyone ELSE just recieve one of these emails? I do NOT TAKE KINDLY to my email address being HARVESTED.

It was done by that guy right up there - check his profile... zidro.com is his web site, and is listed in the header of that email.

------------------
Charles Capps
http://solareclipse.net/
Quote Reply
Yes,

I agree Charles I was emailed as well. tachus if you have questions regarding the script contact the author. If any of us that use the bulletin board have any input for you we will post it on the board.
Quote Reply
I got the same thing today, I never post to this the DBMan discussion. I always post to the Links discussion. I guess he harvested everyone's emails off of these boards.
Quote Reply
hey, what's your problem dude! I'm really needing some advice with the script, sent a couple of messages to some that might have

If you won't help, just don't answer. Sorry I've bothered you, but I need help.
Quote Reply
tachus

What specifically do you want help with? Are you trying to get someone to give yu the sql version without purchasing it or do you have a legitimate question? If you have a wuestion that I can answer that is posted on the board I will answer it but most people do not take kindly to unsolicited email. Once again what is your question?
Quote Reply
What's MY problem? This makes my FOURTH post on this board. My second in this forum. You came to ME for help?

------------------
Charles Capps
http://solareclipse.net/
Quote Reply
I received four messages that were identical to each other and to the ones others got. This is highly inappropriate. The point of the forum is to ask questions here, not to send email.

Tachus, you asked people who had used the SQL version to answer. Since you didn't get any answers, it's safe to assume that no one frequenting the forum is using the SQL version. People do answer questions here. They are very helpful if they have any answers for you.

And it was more than "a couple" of email messages. I'm the fourth person to post here and I got four messages. I count seven so far.

I'm tempted to close the thread, but I'll leave it for a while.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Many of you did not understand me. I am really willing to pay for the product that is being offered. But I need a modified version of the program. And don't know if I'll be able to modify it.
Who would pay for something that is useless for his purposes? If I get the software, I'll need to know I'll have support. That's why I was searching for people that have tried it. If you don't want people to send emails directly, why do you offer that choice!
I did not mean to offend no one, I have been polite in my email.
------------------------------
Well, now, getting concrete, maybe someone can answer this questions before JPDeni closes this thread. I wonder what is the structure of db.cgi in sql. Does the main sub get the input in the same way that the plain text version?
Also if there are separate databases for the password file and the database file.
Would like to know if there is still a key for records, db_key, and if the
cfg file stays unchanged.

Thanks all for the patience.
Quote Reply
I am willing to tell you what I do know about the SQL version.

The html.pl file is identical. The .cfg file is pretty close to being the same. There's no need for an auth directory, as an entry is made on a table when someone logs in. What is different is the file structure -- the way it reads from and writes to files. It builds SQL statements (which is the part I don't understand), and then accesses the database through those statements. There are separate databases for the passwords and records. There is a key field.

That's about all I can help you with. I have read the SQL version, but I've never run it.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
My mention of closing the thread before was because I didn't want this to turn into a shouting match. As long as there aren't a bunch more argumentative posts from anyone, I'll leave it open.

Regarding the questions, here's what I know:

Quote:
1. Can the SQL-Version do a multikeywords-crossfield-search? The
text-version normally can not.
2. Or a multikeywords-crossfield-search and field search at once?

As far as I know, the search capabilities are the same.

Quote:
3. What are the main problems?

Can't answer that one, except to say that in order to use it your server has to have either mySQL or mSQL installed.

Quote:
4. Are there any informations available about the SQL-version?

Basically, it works the same way as the non-SQL version, but it's faster.

Quote:
why should there be silence about this program

I didn't originally answer your post because you said

Quote:
Would like to know if anybody tried the sql version of dbman.

Not having tried it, I didn't think it was appropriate to answer. All I could say was "I haven't tried it."

Quote:
why should there be "closed posts"

Because I don't want this to be an argument about people sending unwanted mail to other people. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's about SQL.

Quote:
why should there be ... imperfect information whenever someone is interested in it

Because I don't have perfect information about it and those that do, for the moment, are unavailable.

Quote:
Hell, there's a lot of chat about the plain version but the SQL version of DBMan really makes better bucks for Alex.

There's chat about what people want to know and what other people can answer. It's not that discussion about SQL isn't allowed or anything. It's that I don't have the answers you're looking for.

To anyone else who got emails from Tachus and might not be pleased about it, please don't post here. I would appreciate it if it was taken up with him privately.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I got three messages from the bloody moron.

Tachus, I'm curious. What's this "advice" that will help me for sure? Sounds pretty dodgy to me. Sounds to me you were trying to get yourself a free copy of dbMan SQL and went about it in the dumbest way possible.

Dolt. Frown

adam
Quote Reply
Thanks Carol for that data, it was really useful. Wonder why Alex would not tell me that, as it's something really basic, don't you think?
I shall not make comments to "dahamasta" as I feel insulted. Thought he was a serious person.
I know that maybe some did get annoyed, but others were keen and even help. Other replies are also full of questions and uncertainty about the other version. So it's not only my concern. Just to quote some questions, here we have:

1. Can the SQL-Version do a multikeywords-crossfield-search? The
text-version normally can not.
2. Or a multikeywords-crossfield-search and field search at once?
3. What are the main problems?
4. Are there any informations available about the SQL-version?

why should there be silence about this program, why should there be "closed posts" and imperfect information whenever someone is interested in it. Hell, there's a lot of chat about the plain version but the SQL version of DBMan really makes better bucks for Alex.
Quote Reply
tachus,

You're insulted? How dare you? You send me unsolicited email (spam tachus, because that's what it is), asking questions that are dubious to say the least and you take offense that I'm annoyed about it? Neither do you answer my question about this mysterious "piece of advice".

I do my best to help people out on these boards, in my own free time. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong, but I do my best. I enjoy it, because I'm learning too. But one thing I've been quite clear about in several threads is that I don't want questions asked via email. That's what the boards are for.

Considering that you sent email to THREE of my email addresses, I'm quite sure that you must have seen one of those posts as you were harvesting addresses.

Don't expect any help from me on these boards tachus, and be warned, if I see email coming from your address or servers again, I won't be a happy chappy.

adam
Quote Reply
Guess that warnings aren't interesting for the people that read on here. The piece of advice has been given to the people that apply, people that know sql. Information is mailed, so I guess that you're not getting it as you don't want more mails.

Think that everything's been said. I won't expect Adam's tips although in the past only once he replied to one of my messages, and he pretended to know the answer very confidently, but in fact did not help at all.

Stay well all the rest of you that have helped.
Quote Reply
Yes I also received his email and got very very angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
I'm going to go ahead and close the thread. I really would appreciate it if you would take up any problems you have with another member of the forum in private mail.

This does not mean that questions about SQL are off limits. I and anyone else who has answers will share what we know. In another thread.

------------------
JPD