Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

problem with long/short mod

Quote Reply
problem with long/short mod
Hello,

I have a little problem with te long/short mod I applied in my alreadey heavy adapted html.pl file

in the long view it doesn't produce the right (or even any) record

the problem seems to be with the value for $nh not being passed on

it is each time o, so $record_number becomes (((0-1) * 100(max.hits) + $i (counting correctly)) = -99 or whatever more with $i increasing

so, where, how,... should the value for $nh be produced/passed on to the sub html_record for the long display of the records ?

Thanks a lot,
Paul

Quote Reply
Re: problem with long/short mod In reply to
Hello,

I found a part of the solution here in the forum, but it is still not working

Frank Harris had the same problem as me on 12-Apr-00 and JPD found the following solution:

in the sub html_view_success, after
my ($maxhits); $in{'mh'} ? ($maxhits = $in{'mh'}) : ($maxhits = $db_max_hits);
add: $in{'nh'} ? ($nh = $in{'nh'}) : ($nh = 1);

now it works for the first record displayed in the short mode, not for the next records, they all return that first record of the list when the long version is requested

so, somebody any idea?

Thanks a lot,
Paul

Quote Reply
I'll need to see your database in action.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
hello JPD,

I am sorry, in my efforts to resolve the previous problem myself I messed up your original code (these things happen at 4 o'clock in the morning Tongue)

Your mod is working perfectly Caroll, thanks a lot

Just one suggestion: a lot of the answers to peoples problems are in fact somewhere in the forum, and going through it i saw you're always answernig a lot of the same problems coming back (e.g. the not working return button for searches on html pages, how to hide a field, hit counters, how to give the number of records, how to hide empty fields etc.)

Some answers are in the resource center (validate, boolean search, multiple select,...) but I think the FAQ is too short, maybe it should be extended a bit with the most frequent problems

People really go and look these (I suppose), but going through the discussion forum (a huge thing by now) to find answers is a big job, so people take it the easy way and just ask for the same answers again and again.

And JPD goes on answering these same questions again and again...

A good FAQ (cfr the one for links 2.0) would result in a much more efficient discussion forum I think.

All the best,
Paul

Quote Reply
You make a good point. I'm not sure how I should be spending my time, though. Do I answer questions in the forum and write mods or do I write FAQs? (I know you weren't criticizing me. This is something I've thought a lot about myself.)

There is a FAQ in the process of being written that is quite extensive -- by someone else. We'll get it available to folks as soon as possible.

The other thing is that, when someone asks a question, I hate to just say "Go read the FAQ." Seems rude to me. But this is something I may have to get over. Smile

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
Re: FAQ In reply to
Hello Carol,

of course I am not criticizing you, I admire the workload you can take, always with a Laugh, always quick, always with patience and always with creative solutions

just, I thought it would be more satisfiing for you not to have to answer these same standard questions over and over

on the other hand it goes a lot quicker for people if they find solutions themselves in stead of having to wait for an answer, and, if the proposed solution in the FAQ doesn't fit exactly to their problem, it gives the the posibility to try out their own creativity

and, if that doesn't work, there is still the forum...

Well, I am happy to read somebody is writing a FAQ, even an extended FAQ ! Whooow !

Cheers,
Paul