Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Working with multiple dbases

Quote Reply
Working with multiple dbases
Hi,

How could I carry UserID and Password from one dbase to another so users do not have to login each time they want to update a dbase during their session? Currently, each time the user switches to a different dbase, they are presented with the login screen and have to login again.

Once their session ends and they log off, they would be required to log in to make additional modifications / additions.
Quote Reply
Re: Working with multiple dbases In reply to
JPDeni wrote a tutorial on "relational databases" that may help you. She posted the URL to this tutorial in one of these Threads.

She may have publicly linked the tutorial in her DBMAN-ual web site, which is located at the following address:

www.jpdeni.com/dbman/

Basically, what you will have to do is create additional sub-routines in the html.pl for the different databases you have for users to fill out. And you will have to make sure that you have separate .cfg files for each database and reference the specific database in the form codes in these new sub-routines.

I would try reading JPDeni's tutorial first and if that doesn't help, then we can assist you with the codes you will need to accomplish your goals.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Actually, the relational databases tutorial is not linked on my site as yet. I was waiting until some other folks have worked with it a bit to be sure that I wrote it clearly enough. (I know the process works, but I'm not sure I explained it well.)

However, if I understand Jasmin's question correctly, the relational tutorial is not necessary.

Make sure that your two databases share the same .pass file and auth directory.

In your links, change $db_script_link_url to

$db_script_url?db=DatabaseName&uid=$db_uid

You can create links in both of the html.pl files to go from one database to the other.

For example, if your databases are called db1 and db2, you can have links like:

Code:
print qq!| <a href="$db_script_url?db=db2&uid=$db_uid&add_form=1">Add to db2</a>!; if ($per_add);
print qq!| <a href="$db_script_url?db=db1&uid=$db_uid&add_form=1">Add to db1</a>!; if ($per_add);

Make sense?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks a million for your help. It worked perfectly.