Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Thanks JPDeni and all...

Quote Reply
Thanks JPDeni and all...
Just a quick thank you to JP and others... I didn't ask very many questions because I didn't have to, all were answered in previous posts.

Although I did some of my own mods, most are from JP's collection. If anybody wants to play with the secure password/lookup mod go to www.update1.com . Feel free to play around and pretend that you are a radio station.

I also used some code that makes for a 1:many relationship between tables. Thanks JP! You made it very quick and easy to get this site made.

Let me know if anything is confusing. I tend to think many things are self explanatory when they are not. I haven't finished the site yet, so you can enter as many fake records as you would like. The more critical the better.

All the best,
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks JPDeni and all... In reply to
Looks great!

I did run into a little problem -- very little that I'm sure you can fix easily. I use Netscape and the "Road Add" form doesn't show up. You are undoubtedly missing a closing </table> tag somewhere.

No. Wait that's not it. I looked at the source code for the page and there's a CGI error --
error in get_defaults. unable to open id file: ./roads.count.
Reason: No such file or directory

I'm sure it's just a temporary thing.

Looks really good. It's great to see what you've done with the combination of tools available to you.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks,

Originally I had it set up for both the roads and orgs tables to use the same .count file, then changed my mind, and the file names, but not the roads.cfg file.

Fixed now though... thanks.
Steve
Quote Reply
Hi steve,

Like the site,

You seem to have mastered the art of getting the results to display along side your navigation bar which i cannot do.

Could you please have a look at the following site and tell me where i sholud be putting the code in the headers info and footers section

http://www.thehairshop.co.uk/index.htm

many Thanks

MDJ
Quote Reply
MDJ,

I see that you are using Dreamweaver... it should be pretty easy to get this to work for you. Here's what I did...

First, I made a dummy page that looked how I wanted, to include the left side navigation bar. I made one big table for the whole page and then I put each section in it's own table.

Then I just coppied the HTML from the top (should start with <html> to the last <td> tag before the table that contained my database output and put that in the sub html_page_top section. In the sub html_page_bottom section I coppied everything after the the database output table, which should start with a </td> tag and end with an </html> tag.

The trick is to not think of the page_top and page_bottom as the actual top of the page and the bottom of the page. They are really just "before" the db output and "after" the db output.

Once you get a hold of that idea you can then seperate out the different elements of your page and put them into there own subroutines which will allow you to edit them independantly of each other which makes it easier to make changes later.

Clear as mud?

Hope this helps,
Steve

[This message has been edited by StevePlant (edited October 08, 1999).]
Quote Reply
STEVE

I've tried this so many times and after your little tutorial it worked FIRST TIME.

Maybe JP can add a copy of your thread to her site.

Regards

MDJ

ONCE AGAIN THANKS STEVE
Quote Reply
Your welcome... glad it worked for you.

Steve