Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Search Multiple Fields

Quote Reply
Search Multiple Fields
Hey All,
In searching the forum i can't seem to get exactly what i'm looking for from other questions....here goes.
Is it possible to have one search field and when submitted will search two different fields (or more) in the database.
Hope you can help.

Neil
Quote Reply
Re: Search Multiple Fields In reply to
Keyword will search ALL fields...

Hint: if you want to limit search scope to fields of your choosing, use a JavaScript onSubmit function to copy the value from <INPUT TYPE=TEXT... to one or more <INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN... on your search form...

------------------
The Immuatable Order of Modding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. Read the FAQ, 2. Search the board, 2a. Search the board again, 3. ask the question, 4. back-up, 5. experiment, 6. rephrase question (or better yet, post solution to original question)
Quote Reply
Hi,
May be a small mis-understanding.
From memory, on the search function on dbman, you have a list of all the fields you can search on so you can modify or whatever...ie ID, title, etc.....
then down the bottom you can have ascending order or match any...you know the window i talk of??
Why do they have all the fields listed for search if, like you say in your last comment, all fields get searched.
On my web page i have a drop down menu for categories and a single field for description. If i type in a word in the description field that i know is in another field, ie name, it does not find it...only words in description.
Am i doing something wrong! The search function works beautifully except that i cannot search other fields without having additional search fields on my search page...two is enough i thought.

thanks
neil
Quote Reply
Oldmoney is correct.

If you use the Keyword search (field), it will search ALL fields in your database. If you only have specific fields in your search form without the keywords, then it will only search in those fields.

If what you are after is a BOOLEAN AND/OR search option across fields in your search form...DBMAN does not do this out of the box.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
do you have a JavaScript to do it?? could you post it over here or in the resource center?

thanks

Quote Reply
The Boolean mod is in the Resource Center and does not require javascript.

JPD