Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

New DBman site needs a test

Quote Reply
New DBman site needs a test
I finally have this site up online after many months of work.
I've been working on this site offline, and when I put it online I was struck with a lot of parsing problems, which I hope I have managed to correct.
I need the help of my fellow DBmanners, in checking the site for any bugs.
I still have a lot of work to do on it yet, the next mod being the upload mod. The white spaces on the search pages will be for advertising, when I get that together.
The site is at
totallyfreeads.com
some username/passwords are -
qwerty/qwerty
wombat/wombat
When searching try -
Australia>Computing>PC Systems
British Virgin Islands>Antiques and Fine Art>Appraisal Services
There are some Categories with no Subcategories as yet.
Any suggestions would be appricated.

thanks
Bob
Quote Reply
Re: New DBman site needs a test In reply to
So far so good, Bob. I like the interface and the way it's set up. Didn't find any bugs, except that you will need to come up with some subcategories.

(It's kinda fun to see the mods in action! Smile )

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hey great site!

Would you consider sharing with us which mods you are using? I would like to create a similar style of site (for a different use!)....what did you use????? How long do you think it will take to customise everything?

Ben
Quote Reply
Very nice....I like the broken up submission form! Very cool!

I believe he or she is using the following Mods:

1) Secure Password Lookup
2) Next/Previous Record Mod
3) Short/Long Display Mod
4) What's New
5) Category List Mod
6) Auto Deletion Mod

At least those are the ones that stick out.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Very Impressive!!!!!

I think I got inspired to work on a site. Maybe after finishing some problem here at work. Nice Interface and very cool to the eyes.
Quote Reply
Nice... since you asked, a couple of suggestions, which you may take as you wish.

1) add totals and subtotals of number of ads in all your category listings; possibly also add NEW, NEW in last week, etc to listings

2) have a separate field for payment and shipment terms, which will be clearly relevant to every ad

3) since you are already using relational DBs, a very nice feature would be to rate the sellers... one of the eBay innovations that is actually pretty useful.

4) have your integrated currency calculator calculate the actual price of the item, saving your users from doing the math themselves.

The formatting/layout is solid on Win 98/IE50... (TEST YOUR BROWSER COMBINATIONS!)

------------------
The Immuatable Order of Modding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. Read the FAQ, 2. Search the board, 2a. Search the board again, 3. ask the question, 4. back-up, 5. experiment, 6. rephrase question (or better yet, post solution to original question)

Quote Reply
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.
The mods I,m using are all the ones mentioned by Eliot, except for the Whats New Mod, although they have all been extensively reworked.
The only other one I,m using from the forum is the user account stats mod. The rest in the site are all mine.
benseb, I don't have a great deal of time, but if you let me know what you want done I could help you out.
As far as time goes, it's taken me a very long time.
oldmoney, thanks for your suggestions. I'm not using totals/subtotals, because mainly at this stage there is nothing much to total/subtotal. So I have to use seperate DB, for Country Category/subcategory at this stage. I don't know how to print lists with zero amounts from the main DB. I have seen this done on other sites though.
The DB,s aren't relational, they are just opened when needed.
I carn't get the currency converter to do that, because there isn't a price field. All money amounts are added to the discription field, so users can add mulliple items with mulliple prices.
I will be adding payment and shipping fields.
I,m not to sure about Rate the Seller. I for one don't like to be rated. eBay may use this a one way of cutting down on fraud, which is a bit of a proplem with these type of sites.
I have tested the site on MIE and Netscape v3 browsers and up, seems to be ok.
Anyway thanks again.

Bob
PS
Eliot, last time I looked I was a he.
Quote Reply
Hi
would be interesting for me to learn how you brake up the add- routine to several pages

Thanks
Quote Reply
Niemann,
The way I did this was to simply use the contents of %in from the query string of the first form, and drop that into hidden form filds in the second form, ie with the second form I used,
Code:
<input type=hidden name="Country" value="$in{'Country'}">
<input type=hidden name="Category" value="$in{'Category'}">
I wouldn't like to use this method if you had a lot of forms, as you would end up with a rather long hidden form field list, but for a couple of pages it works fine.
You could also use the $ENV{'QUERY_STRING'}, but that would require a bit more work.

Bob

[This message has been edited by lanerj (edited March 28, 2000).]
Quote Reply
That is WHY I said he or she...how can you get offended with a statement like that!

Geez!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
My apology Eliot. I'm not the offended type realy, just my poor attempt at bad humour.
Sorry.

Bob
Quote Reply
Great site, Bob!

There really is a lot of inspiration there... Thanks.
Beeing new to all this DBMan-stuff, I must focus on the small things...

I found a TYPO...;-)

In your Admin menu (the amenu.gif) there is a misspelling of the word Menu...

Ken
Quote Reply
Hi Bob,

I am so impressed about your site that I have to ask you one more:
you integrate something like a countdown so that every user can only post 10 records.
can you make this mod public ??

Thanks
Tom
Quote Reply
Thanks KP for the typo.
Niemann, the user acount stats mod is one of JPD she helped me with awhile back.
It,s at
www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/000665.html
It's an add on to the auto delete mod.

Bob

[This message has been edited by lanerj (edited March 31, 2000).]