Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Modify from View

Quote Reply
Modify from View
When I am viewing a record I would like to have a link at the top of the page “Click Here To Modify This Record” this link should take the user directly to the modify record screen bypassing the search. I am sure this must be possible I just have not been able to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Quote Reply
Re: Modify from View In reply to
This would not be possible through the search results (view screens) since people have to login to modify their records.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply since all my users are required to login It seems that it should be possible to check there user id and only show the link when the user has edit level access

Jack
Quote Reply
If the users are logged in, then it could be possibly. But for other users like using the default option, having this option would be confusing unless you use the ($per_mod) permission conditional codes for this particular link.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 18, 2000).]
Quote Reply
My thinking is that I would check the users access level and if they have appropriate authorization I would show the link if not I would not. I am struggling a bit with this this is my first venture into the world of perl I think I can figure out the conditional part to show or not show the link but I can not seem to figure out the proper code to take the user to the modify screen for the current record from the view screen bypassing the search.

Thanks

Jack
Quote Reply

If the user is logged in you might want to changing your modify link in your footer from:

print qq!| <A HREF="$db_script_url?db=databasename&uid=$db_uid&modify_form=1&$db_key=*">Modify</A> ! if ($per_mod);

to:

print qq!| <A HREF="$db_script_url?db=databasename&uid=$db_uid&modify_form=1&ItemID=*">Modify</A> ! if ($per_mod);

Where ItemID is the actual name of the db_key. I believe that if you have the permissions setup for users to be able to only modify their own records this would take them directly to own their listings.
I tried this using on of my databases and it seems to work fine going directly to the listings of record this one user submitted.
If they can only have one record then this should open up the one record.

Give it a try and see if it works for you Smile

You can also copy the link into your html_record to have it on the top of your page rather then in the footer menu.

This will perhaps give you more ideas of what to try if nothing else Smile
Quote Reply
Thank you so much

The Code I ended up with is:

print qq!| <A HREF="$db_script_url?db=default&uid=$db_uid&modify_form=1&RSN=$rec{'RSN'}&ww=1">Modify</A> ! if ($per_mod);

Seems to work fine dose just what I wanted will test some more to make sure

Thanks

Jack