Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Import DB to Spreadsheet

Quote Reply
Import DB to Spreadsheet
Are there any spreadsheet programs that users here are using to import their database information to?

I am looking for a program (spreadsheet other than Excel) that I can import the information collected by DBman to that would be easy to use.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks!

-------------------
donm
Quote Reply
Re: Import DB to Spreadsheet In reply to
Access or Object Access is what we are using to import data into DBMAN. We are also using these programs to take data exported from DBMAN into a flat file to generate College Reports.

Access and Object Access allows you to query information off-line. We use Access to create tables that can be used to create flat files and use Object Access to convert the codes in our College Databases to codes that are used in DBMAN.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot - but what I am looking for is a program that will allow me to import the DBMan data into it (spreadsheet type format I guess?) - putting the data into proper fields in the spreadsheet

Maybe this is a dream? Does anyone know of such a program that would accomplish this for me?

Thanks!
-------------
donm
Quote Reply
MSAccess will allow you to import the fields.

Excel is the only spreadsheet I know and it only allows you to import tab-delimited files.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
No, the version of Excel that comes with office 97 gives you a choice of delimiters to use in it's Import Wizard and | works great! Just open the *.db file in Excel and you'll get a choice of Delimited or Fixed Width - chose Delimited and click next then in the list of possible delimiters chose Others and put in | (or whatever) click finish and there you go! Adjust the cell width by clicking on the lines - perfect.

------------------
JGU

[This message has been edited by jury (edited August 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks, jury. I'm not that well-versed in Excel, since I'm not a spreadsheet sort of person. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies !! I guess I'll have to go and invest in Excel - I only have Microsoft Works right now.

Thanks again !
--------------
donm
Quote Reply
Get Office 2000! It comes with tons of wonderful applications, including Excel, Access, Front Page, MS Word, and Power Point.

A very good investment.

(I know...Microsoft..The evil empire...Loved it when Bill Gates got shot in South Park: The Movie...But Office 2000 is a really nice product.)

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I can import and export just fine with Access. I can also import with Excel because you are allowed to choose "|" pipe delimited.

What I cannot seem to do, is export with Excel. You would think that since you can import with "|" pipe delimited, that you should be able to export with "|" pipe delimited. But the option is just not there.

Microsoft....sheesh!
Quote Reply
Katana Man,

There is a down-and-dirty trick you might try with your Excel files to convert them back to pipe-delimited:

1) Select (highlight) all columns in the Excel file.
2) Copy to clipboard.
3) Open a simple text editor or program that does NOT recognize MSOffice apps. (I happen to use Eudora, because it's always handy and in background).
4) Paste the Excel file --this strips all the MS Office headers, etc. You end up w/ a clean, tab-delimited ascii text file.
5) Copy to clipboard.
6) Drop into whatever will do a Find & Replace. Replace tab (^t) with pipe (|).

It's also handy to count the number of pipes each record SHOULD have and then do a Find & Replace, (|) for (|) on the whole file. Divide the number of "Pipes Found" by the number of pipes per record ...if you don't come up with the exact number of records in your database, you've got problems. You can narrow it down to the exact record that has the wrong number of pipes by running this little F&R routine on selected sections of the file --just be sure you are highlighting entire records.

Bob