Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Database issues

Quote Reply
Database issues
Hi Guys,

With the assistance of Carol and others who so kindly gave their input I have setup a facility that has one html.pl file and 4 databases. Each database has it's own default user cfg file and also an admin cfg file. All cfg files point to the same html.pl, db.cgi and the admin cfg's point to a common auth dir and pass file. My question is: Will this work as a multiuser db, once users start viewing adding deleting etc. Everything seems ok, but I am hoping someone has had experience with this and can offer some do's and dont's. I need the thing to work with the minimum of input from me.

Thanks in advance
G
Quote Reply
Re: Database issues In reply to
In terms of searching the databases, you will have to make separate search forms for each of the databases, like the following:

Search Database 1
Search Database 2
Search Database 3
Search Database 4

OR you can use radio buttons in your html_record sub-routine like the following:

Code:
<input type="radio" name="db" value="DB1">
<input type="radio" name="db" value="DB2">
<input type="radio" name="db" value="DB3">
<input type="radio" name="db" value="DB4">

You can also use a drop-down menu, like the following:

Code:
<select name="db">
<option value="DB1">Database 1</option>
<option value="DB2">Database 2</option>
<option value="DB3">Database 3</option>
<option value="DB4">Database 4</option>

This will NOT work with checkboxes.

In terms of adding, modifying, and deleting...you will have to create separate links for each of the databases like the following:

Database 1
-----------
Add
Modify
Delete

Database 2
-----------
Add
Modify
Delete

Database 3
-----------
Add
Modify
Delete

Database 4
-----------
Add
Modify
Delete

The only thing you have to make sure is that within each sub-routine of your html.pl that you had the following hidden fields for forms:

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="db" value="DB1">
<input type=hidden name="uid" value="$db_uid">

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited October 24, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi Elliot,

Thanks for the input. I have done much of what you suggest. My concern is the common pass and auth files, but multiple cfg's. I am concerned that multiple users, using the multiple cfg's & db's, with the common pass and auth files might result in dbman's security or db handler routines becoming confused. I was hoping someone out there could confirm the functinality of such a configuration. This would surely allow me to implement the script without fear of a disaster a month after going live. I cannot afford, once the site is up to redo the whole lot again. This site has really sapped my time from a setup point of view.

I must add that dbman from the config setup point of view, the forum support and functionality so far has been absolutely perfect. The easy setup, features and performance place dbman streets ahead of most other products we have assessed.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Regards
G
Quote Reply
Hi there,

I am a bit confused with this one. So actually you can login once, and have access to several databases?
Quote Reply
If the Authorization permissions are the same, then yes, you can login into multiple databases using the same .pass and auth.pl files.

handmade,

Theoretically and technically speaking, you should have no problem. New sessions files for each database that a user accesses will be created in the /auth/ directory. I really don't foresee a problem with having people log into multiple databases.

WHY don't you run some preliminary tests...If you want I would be willing to be a guinea pig, and I am sure there would be other DBMAN users who would be willing to assist you.

Let me know...

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited October 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi Guys,

I really appreciate the feedback. Praiseur, you are absolutely correct. I need multiple databases, but one login. we have this working, but we are still testing. Thank you very much, I really do appreciate the offer to assist Eliot, but your comments actually answer my questions and we are almost complete with the testing phase.

<b>Eliot</b>

"Theoretically and technically speaking, you should have no problem. New sessions files for each database that a user accesses will be created in the /auth/ directory. I really don't foresee a problem with having people log into multiple databases"

Thank you. This is much the answer I was looking for. My collegues and I are currently testing and it seems to be working extremely well so far. We hope to be be finished by the end of October or 1st week in Nov.

For the benefit of those who are confused. I will try to simplify.

Using standard dbman plus JPdeni's long-short html mod and with the generous assistance of this forum we have managed to setup multi-database funtionality as per the following, which I don't think is anything new for dbman users at all.

In the html.pl 'home' page we allow a drop down menu for the db selection and also for the edit (add, delete etc.), but we exclude admin on this front page. Once the db is selected dbman does the rest. If admin rights are assigned, the admin selection will appear on the menu at the bottom like any other standard config of dbman. All auth, count, pass files and a single html.pl file reside a common directory. If you want to edit an alternative db, all you do is click on 'Home' and go back to the 'home' page and select the alternative db.

In the edit record section there is no selection for db. You are forced to edit the current db.

I trust this make more sense.

Thanks to all concerned regards
G