Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

DBMan License Questions

Quote Reply
DBMan License Questions
I e-mailed Alex about this awhile ago, but I have not yet recieved a reply. Maybe someone else can help me.

I plan on using DBMan as a database for my site, http://digitalart.org. I have it all setup and everything and I'm ready to launch the site.

My site is non-profit, so do I need to have a link back to Gossamer Threads on every page generated by DBMan or is just one link from somewhere else on the site ok (credits page)?

Thanks.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: DBMan License Questions In reply to
Register at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/register/

I run a non-profit site as well, but decided to do a paying registration because, sometime , I might need technical support.
Quote Reply
If you don't pay for registration, you need to keep the Gossamer Threads credit in the footer in your html.pl file.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
This is just my personal opinion, but even when I pay for the use of scripts and it's not required to display the credit I do so anyway.

When you find a great script I think it's nice to share the resource with others who may be looking for scripts to perform the same type of function for their sites.

It's just like when you download free graphics to use on your site. Credit should always be given where credit is due. In this case you protects you from copyright laws.

Why not help others to discover and benefit from the use of this great script Smile By including a small logo and link to Alex's site you are providing additional information by means of a great resource for your visitors Smile
Quote Reply
Thanks guys.

I have the Powered by Gossamer button at the bottom of every page on my site.

Do you think it would be inappropriate to re-design the button while using the exact same words? Personaly, I think it is nasty and it doesn't match my site too well. Maybe I'm just too picky.
Quote Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I don't think Alex would mind if you didn't use the logo graphic at all. Just be sure that you have the copyright info and the link back to the site in text form. If Alex does mind, I'll take the heat for it. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply

Quote:
# Print the menu and the footer and logo. It would be nice if you left
# the logo in.
That always struck me as a bit odd. It would be nice if you leave the logo in, yet it's commented out by default...

Which reminds me, now that I've gone the non-non-profit route, I need to register DBMan.

Dan
Quote Reply

Quote:
# Print the menu and the footer and logo. It would be nice if you left
# the logo in. Wink
- html sub_footer

Quote:
It may be used and
# modified free of charge for personal, academic, government or non-profit
# use, so long as this copyright notice and the header above remain intact.

You do not have to display the logo, only the copyright statement.

But JPDeni is right...Alex is the ultimate answer.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
If I work for a company but the script doesn't appear on the web AT ALL (so we really wouldn't be getting a profit from the use of the script), then do I have to purchase a license. I am using DBMan for an intranet to keep a database for us (a distributing company) and the people we distribute to. So do I need to buy a license for it even if we don't show it to ANYONE on the web. Also, if I buy a license, could I pay for it myself and the company gets credit for it and my own site at home gets to use the license too?

[This message has been edited by Proto Frag (edited March 27, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I would just think about what's fair. Are you using the script for commercial use? Or is it non-profit or individual use? Those are the two options that Alex gives.

If you are not paying for the script for a specific site, you need to keep the copyright info in there. I think that's fair. Otherwise it looks as though you're saying that you created the script. (Alex is one of the few developers I've seen on the 'net that allows the removal of the copyright info even for paying customers. Most require everyone to leave it in.)

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Right, and I am keeping the copyright info in there and will probably buy a license for it for my personal individual site (for the already excellent tech support)! I will purchase one, (I am only 15 and I have to save up my earnings. Hey I was also wondering, what is average pay for a beginning programmer with C++ knowledge and A+ Certification for an adult and then for a 15 year old? Yes I can think of what is fair and Alex will end up with 100 bucks (well spent) out of my pocket.
Quote Reply
I really have no idea about beginning (or ending, for that matter) wages for any kind of programming. That's one reason I don't do custom work any more. It's just to hard to figure out how much to charge people.

------------------
JPD