Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Count views per record?

Quote Reply
Count views per record?
Is it possible to get dbman to count how many times a record has been shown to the users?

tnx, Thijs
Quote Reply
Re: Count views per record? In reply to
Eliot, is this Mod finished ?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/000710.html

The link to the testing-page isn't there anymore. Is it possible to see this mod working somewhere ?

------------------
--- Luc
Quote Reply
Look for Threads in this forum that discuss hit counters, counters, etc.

THIS has BEEN DISCUSSED before.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Nope...that Mod is a piece of crap...excuse my French.

There are other code hacks available in this forum that puts a hit counter.

Search for oldmoney in the user field in the search form. He wrote a Mod for adding a counter into records.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks for the plug, but the released code is entirely by Mart. Here is the thread...
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/001933.html

If I ever get around to it, I will include a session-based hit counter so that repeated views don't increment the counter. Also, would be interested to hear of any performance issues with R/W to a large DB on every view (mine is still in beta so I wouldn't know)...

------------------
The Immuatable Order of Modding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. Read the FAQ, 2. Search the board, 2a. Search the board again, 3. ask the question, 4. back-up, 5. experiment, 6. rephrase question (or better yet, post solution to original question)
Quote Reply
Hi Oldmoney,
My experiance with an actual read/write counter-field in the DB is, that when more than one user opens and closed the DB for counting a view at the same time, the DB is messed up. I don't know how that happens, but sometimes I missed a lot of records. That gives me the conclusion, that the DB has to be opened not more at one session, than absolutely neccesarry. I've been writing more codes for some 'temp' files, so the DB has no need to open and close. Just reading gives no problem I think, but rewriting will. That brought me at the idea, to write the last 'counting-a-view' code in the thread you mentioned above.