Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Checking for spaces in a value...

Quote Reply
Checking for spaces in a value...
I have some testers hitting my db trying to crash it. One of the users came to a standstill when he went to change his UserID (I created a Mod to let a user change their login ID, to go along with the change password and change e-mail address). He put a space in the login ID (e.g: Cpl Miller instead of CplMiller) then he couldn't log back in. I'm assuming it's because of the space. How do I check the input for spaces? I have the check in place for A-Z,0-9 characters only. While I'm descent in Perl, I've always hated trying to write a value check.

Here are the value checks I have:
$in{'userid'} =~ /^[a-zA-Z0-9]+$/ #Check for A-Z,0-9 characters only
$in{'email'} =~ /.+\@.+\..+/ #Check for valid e-mail format

What would I find a space in a value?
$in{'userid'} =~

Thanks for any help...
AJ

Quote Reply
Re: Checking for spaces in a value... In reply to
$in{'userid'} =~ /^[a-zA-Z0-9]+$/;

I could be wrong, but I thought the above exp. was supposed to allow those characters only and stop spaces and slashes etc in the username.

Do you have something like

unless (($in{'userid'} =~ /^[a-zA-Z0-9]+$/)) {do this }

rog

Quote Reply
I just figured out what it was. When I checked for A-Z,0-9 in the subroutine, I wasn't checking the correct $in{} name being passed from the form. I had it set to 'userid' when it should have been 'uname'.

Thanks rog for responding so quickly.

AJ

Quote Reply
AJ,

No problem, glad you sorted it.

rog

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I created a Mod to let a user change their login ID, to go along with the change password and change e-mail address.
I think this is a mistake to do, which is why I did not include it in my mod.

JPD
Quote Reply
I personally don't want it either, but I have written a mod to create over 32,000 accounts with random username/password combos. I have to give them the opportunity to change their info without having all 32,000 e-mailing me to change their username!!

What problem(s) did you have, or why do you think it's a mistake?

AJ