Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Allowing Users to only view posts in 2 DB

Quote Reply
Allowing Users to only view posts in 2 DB
I have installed 2 databases; one for resumes, and one for job listings.

The problem is, I don't want the resume posters to read other resumes, or job listings posters to read job listings.

Does that make sense? The job listngs posters should be able to read only resumes, and the resume posters should be able to read the only job listings.

There is only a one time login between the two databases, so I thought this would be seemless, but doesn't appear to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cenla

Quote Reply
Re: Allowing Users to only view posts in 2 DB In reply to
How are users going to get accounts? Will they sign up online or will they only be added by the admin? (I have some ideas, but I'm not sure exactly how it's going to work. The answer to this question will help. Smile.)

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
Thanks for replying!

Well, the sign-up is automated. I thought about removing the "List All" and View links, but then it would be totally useless.

I hope I've answered the question.

THanks for your help.

Quote Reply
So they will sign up online. Will they select something when they're signing up to say whether they're a job poster or a job seeker? Or do they just start with the option to add either a resume or a job listing? Or (lots of possiblities Smile) are there separate login links for posters and seekers?

JPD
Quote Reply
Wow! You're already thinking of things I hadn't thought through.

I have the job posters paying for access, while resume posters are taken automatically to the login screen.

I didn't realize I could divide things up that way. I have the databases sharing the same password file & db.cgi, but everything else is separate.

How would I go about having the options you mentioned?

Cool

Quote Reply
Well, the easiest way to do it would be to have links on static pages to the signup forms for each database -- one for job "offerers" and one for job seekers. Or, you could have a radio field on the signup form -- "are you looking for a job or are you offering a job?"

It looks like, though, that you would want to have the admin add the job "offerers" and let the seekers sign up for accounts. That actually makes things a little easier.

What I had in mind was to change the "view" permission from just either a 1 or a 0 to being short words -- maybe "list" and "seek" or something like that. You would have to do some other coding to check to be sure that the user had the right permission, but I think it could be done.

I'm really going to have to go to bed, though. Smile See you later.

JPD